Twin 250hp on 24ft I/O Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ermaclob, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

No, that pod is discontinuous with the hull bottom, and plays little or no part at speed. It does provide bouyancy at rest and trolling speeds though, unlike a frame-type bracket. Obviously, pods that are continuous with the hull bottom are specifically designed for specific boats, you can't use the same one for a range of different boats. If your boat will run properly with one, the pod that is stepped up is the better choice, because it does confer the advantage of the props running in water away from the hull, which is worth a knot or two of extra speed at the same RPM, supposedly. But engine height needs to be fine tuned. From what I have seen, the best candidate for pods is a boat that has ample waterline beam aft, skinnier boats struggle imo. Power cats, which have slim hulls, are susceptible to trim issues with heavy engines on pods.

2. ermaclob

ermaclob Junior Member

so like this then.

https://youtu.be/8xoIkbjBoek

3. Mr Efficiency

That is just a transom mounted outboard set-up, there is no "pod" added, everything appears to be part of the moulded hull. I will see if I can find an example for you, of a boat with an added pod, lining up with the hull proper, which generally are not the full width of the boat either. Some for a single engine, are quite slim. Bear in mind though, that while having the pod as an effective part of the running bottom can be beneficial, it can also change the behaviour of it for the worse in certain circumstances, such as the down-hill run, but it is all subject to experimentation to see what works, on what boat. Incidentally, that Cam Strachan fella has a "colourful" history........http://www.theage.com.au/news/Natio...abalone-poacher/2004/12/10/1102625534513.html

4. Mr Efficiency

Maybe you should talk to the previous user of your boat, or owners of the same hull, about tabs and such, to get a line on the way the boats handle, or better still, find one that has been converted to outboards, such as you envisage. What make of boat is it ?

5. ermaclob

ermaclob Junior Member

The boat is an 1985 Sea sprite Escapade 1. from what im told the company vanished some time ago and its been hard for me to find decent info on the hull apart from stuff i just figure out. this is the only peace of actual trace of the company i could find apart from there old hulls.

[​IMG]

the Nada giulde also has some info on it but its pretty useless i guess.

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Sea_Sprite_by_United_Marine__225XL_Cruiser__1985/bp/66b76846

6. Mr Efficiency

If that boat would run on a 120 hp 4cyl sterndrive, it is neither a very deep vee or a heavyweight, and 2x250 outboard is ridiculous overkill. Here's my tip, rig it for one of those engines only, that will be more than adequate if they are anywhere near specs, keep the other for a spare, that way if (or more likely, when) you get a major powerhead or gearbox failure, you will be able to swap them and continue reasonably economical boating. With the twins, you will have an overpowered boat, a fuel bill to make you dizzy, and big $$$ in the event of major engine problems. Also, you can relax knowing one engine on a pod isn't going to unbalance the boat. Even if you blow a powerhead AND a gearbox, you still have a motor using the good parts put together. The key, imo, is how difficult will it be to get home if your single engine fails, and you need to call for assistance.

7. ermaclob

ermaclob Junior Member

dude where did you get 120 hp from ?? that thing had a 260 hp v8 in it :?: its says it in the Iboats link and the panflit.... not to mention i striped and pulled the engine and drive my self ther was at least 600 -700 # of engine and drive that i pulled

8. Mr Efficiency

From that old advertisement, it says power ranging from 120 to 260 hp. I stand by what I advised in my previous post, you are setting yourself up for disappointment on several fronts if you go ahead with plonking these two old outboards on it. It is not the way to go, or at least not the way I would go.

9. ermaclob

ermaclob Junior Member

yea it read 120 to 260 on various models 16 ft to 26.... the add isnt just for that boat they made small bay boats also the model i have comes with eater a 200 hp merc or 260hp V8 GM.

10. Mr Efficiency

In which case the 250 outboard (1) will be quite adequate. Those are old engines, the odds of a major failure (they look like they have had an active life) within a few years is such you don't want to be caught having to repair one or both of them, the cost will be prohibitive, if you have money to throw around you should not even fit them, 1 or 2, but buy a new four-stroke outboard for it. You can expect to burn 25 gallons an hour with those two brutes, minimum.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.