TV opportunity for custom boat builders...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Developmentexec, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Those top gear style of shows & the likes of mythbusters kids love, often very flawed in concepts & experiments but that's part of the appeal I think. An old school mate was on Top Gear Aus & has heaps of media connections.... it's hard work to stay in the groove of that, my cousin is a doco maker, stays close to the facts but the need is always in market appeal. I've done Disney channel on a high rotation(but never seen it), get kids coming up at work over it. Gotta keep it fun.
    Jeff.

2. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Grey Ghost
    When a mobile home or Caravan is driven on top of the larger Myark folding trailer barge it has the “full cabin, nice head, full accommodations and comfortable well-appointed cockpit” similar to a house boat except Myark folding trailer barges allows multi use of the “full cabin, nice head, full accommodations and comfortable well-appointed cockpit” on land giving it the best of both worlds especially on the back of a remote lake or on a remote island like the smaller version allows a Jayco Camper van http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfSuAtiVkQ , this 7.2 X 3.6 Myark folding trailer barge weighs only 800 kg and the structure is .800 wide when folded.
    It does lose speed because of the vehicles weight on deck similar to houseboats or launches of similar sizes but the advantages are you can travel downstream and like you say “from one ramp or road to another that touches the water to another” so no doubling back to retrieve the boat trailer and vehicle also most remote lakes do not allow house boats that are also too difficult to travel on roads.
    Another advantage is the cost which the new custom design Myark trailer barges are intended to be affordable to match the mobile home or caravan that normally spend holiday time in a crowded holiday park near lake, sea shore or river side.

Attached Files:

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

some of the uk shows on discovery are excellent and they do it without all the ******** that american chopper and ilk go on with. that series that has a kit car build , a kit plane build, and kit helicopter build are terrific can't remember the blokes name, mark someone. and there is another series that follows a shipright. these programs prove to me anyway that you don't have to throw chairs through the office window or fight the kids to be entertaining, i guess that is done to capture the audience that has no real interest in building or engineering.

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

That chair throwing & stuff is for the shorts... to get the otherwise uninspired to watch stuff being created, I've taught my Sons it's better to make than break........
    Apparently in the sixties there was a show that chronicled the build of a Hartley TS 16 trailer sailer, worked well back then. I've never seen it but my Dads got a couple of pics of my Brother & I in the bilge amongst the shavings/curlies as toddlers in the build of a TS 16.
    Jeff.

5. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Casting Director
    Could you tell me if your show ever made it to the market or is it still in the making?
    Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfSuAtiVkQ
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=myark boatdesign&tbm=isch&tbo=u&biw=1366&bih=530&dpr=1&oq=&gs_l=

6. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Casting Director

Have you thought about a TV competition that is not like your normal bizarre castings?
    To start with create two or more teams of people with expertise in self-sufficiency for a village each that are endangered by future famine when droughts become more popular as global warming expands...

These can be sponsored by rich people looking for a way to donate money, especially before their own deaths as they do not need the money anymore or companies supporting each team that will compete with each other.

The win for these corporations is promotion for their products and good will that should actually make them more money.

There are no cash prizes but medals for the players similar to the Olympic games that may in the future expand country against country as in sports.

In the photograph a little girl is hunched low, head bent to the ground, ribs jutting out from a too-small body wasting away from starvation.

A few feet behind her, a vulture waits, avid and focused, for her to die. When this photograph, taken in southern Sudan in 1993 by the late photojournalist Kevin Carter, was published, the outcry from the public was immediate and visceral.
    Questions of ethics, and inquiries on how to help, flooded the New York Times.
    The Pulitzer prize-winning photo riveted the world and directed attention to the devastating famine in the country.

As controversial as the picture was, as problematic as it may have been for Carter to shoot it while the young girl sat, helpless prey to a vulture, the image sparked worldwide interest in the famine.

People noticed and, suddenly, people cared.

Now, three years after independence, South Sudan, the world’s youngest country, is expected to declare that it is once again in a state of famine.

Attached Files:

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I spoke with Tim Stafford soon after this thread was started. he has no say nor control over the tv show. the producers (the money guys) get an idea for a show and than hire the talent they need to make the show, Tim was only one. He job was to find suitable candiates for the type of show. He puts together clips of interviews and hands it over to the producders. they may or may not choose to go a head with the project. I have not heard from Tim since July of 2013, the idea for this program may have been drop, or is still waiting.

He has no say in if it gets made or not, or the programs focus or objective. He is just one of the people necessary to bring some of the talent and pieces together to make it work.

8. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

I'm obviously joining this thread way late, but stumbled across it doing a search on another topic.
    Looking at the Production Company web page I noticed they have no current boradcasting or past shows to their credit. Not that it is a bad thing, everyone has to start somewhere. I imagine it is pretty difficult in Hollywood to get up and running, get noticed, and build a repuation. I wish them luck.
    I'm glad that someone is considering making a show about boat building, but sickened that it seems to be required to follow the paradigm of typical 'reality' TV (big personalities, over the top drama, crazy ideas/builds). TV 'experts' will tell you that is what sells, that is what the 'average' viewer wants. You can't grab and keep the attention of a viewer who is not normally 'a boat fan' without the extreme or wierd factor of the designs, big personalities, drama etc... If you have a show that is more documentary style that focuses on the design and construction process (OMG! Are we LEARNING?!) then that would be boring. Unfortunatley, us 'boring' boat peeps who enjoy a well made, visually poetic and educational look at the process and the biographies of the designers, builders, and craftsman in general are a minority of TV viewership.
    I have been involved in Custom Cars, Motorcyles, and Racing for the last 8 or 9 years living here at the heart of it in SoCal. I have worked on many projects with others, raced my own bike, and built 2 ground up custom choppers for myself. I remember the Chopper Craze that started back in the mid 2000's with WCC and OCC all over the Discovery Channel; and those shows have spawned countless others that have died and been forgotten. The Chopper bubble busted along with the Housing Bubble and the economy and OCC and WCC have closed up shop (but both are back now in some form or fashion). I could go on about the history of all this but in relevance to this thread... TV Producers have the this uncanny ability to shape social trends by what they promote on TV... They pick up on a fad or trend and milk it for every dime they can. Frankly I am embarrassed by most of the 'Chopper' shows that were ever on TV because we all saw how it became more about drama and the chopper 'image' more than the craft of designing and building bikes. I'm glad that I don't fit the 'image' sterotype of what people think a 'biker' is supposed to look like, that way I can avoid the assumptions that go along with it.
    Without going off on further tangents (which I seem to be great at), a good boat design/build show would be great. But PLEASE, can we NOT have another another BIG DRAMA reality ****-show? I'd rather not see the world of boats sterotyped and besmirched the same way Choppers and Hot Rods have.
    *** The answer is NO... because 'Educational/Documentary TV DOESN'T MAKE MONEY!***

9. myark

myark Senior Member

I became surprised when Casting Director quoted “but just have not been able to start their own shop.”
    I have been on a one hour New Zealand TV documentary with the early Myark folding trailer barge many years ago called Dreamers and Schemers which was a documentary about NZ inventors, also a carrying on from a book called Kiwi Ingenuity which my idea was on the front cover as well on the center spread.
    Just after the popular documentary I walked down the main street with my dog, no one recognized me, a few recognized my dog.

I did not get one contact from that show and the book as others in that book where left high and dry.

There is a saying, "newspaper today, fish and chip rapping tomorrow"

Did anyone from boat design get a cast? or was it a pie in the sky.

I hope I am wrong.

Attached Files:

10. myark

myark Senior Member

This may have made a good TV documentary back in its day.
    Some years back while finishing a second proto type Myark folding trailer barge and licking my wounds after a girlfriend I lost contact with committed suicide, I had a phone call from another boat inventor called Terry Roycroft who is the original inventor of the Alan Gibbs Aqua car.
    Terry told me of a 4 month shut down extension on the Glenbrook steel mill, 7 day a week 12 hours a day stating they are looking for boiler maker welders whom we end up working together
    Later both of us are in the NZ TV documentary about NZ inventors and the book called Kiwi ingenuity.
    The pictures are of our inventions at about that time of the phone call.
    Terry had a bush block across the harbor from Auckland which sometimes I would stay in his work shop that had a loft for a bedroom, his wife a strict vegan showed kindness and support.
    Terry was almost giving up on his idea as patents needed to be filed and development furthered when a helicopter landed on his property, Alan Gibbs stepped out offering to purchase the idea outright alongside Terry to help further development of the Aqua car alongside other of Terry’s designs.
    Unfortunately the Aqua car did not make it to the market because it had to have inflated air bags which could not be added, I think because of the pounding in the water could set them of or limited space.
    I have seen Terry’s other design which now Gibbs has some on the market but I do not think Terry is part of that package any more however he told me some years ago he was happy just to see something happened as it cost millions to develop and Gibbs needs to recover the money he spent if he ever does.
    This is the kind of ideas TV needs, not the bizarre run of the mill float parade boats and Chopper style personality’s.
    I know Tom Kane has many good inventions, are there any boat design members that have inventions that would suit a TV build program?

Attached Files:

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Like Petros, I talked with this casting director last year about this potential program. He seemed sincere enough and was just fishing for personalities in the industry. He liked mine, but I wasn't willing to have a camera crew up my butt on a daily basis. Seeing as he hasn't responded to this thread in over a year, maybe it's time to put your dreams of TV stardom to rest.

12. myark

myark Senior Member

I made a movie of my early Myark trailer barge some years ago for Face TV (previously Triangle Television) is a public service television station based in Auckland
    They played it about 20 times on TV.
    Trish Armstrong is the camera person from professional film industries who donated her time and the film was sound edited by the company that sound edited Ounce where Warriors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJTOSmhuhGI who Jake the Muss donated some cash to help produce the Myark film as well as Jayco loaned a campervan and Johnson loaned out board motors.
    We filmed this in 3 days including the long distance travel so yea it’s a rough as guts first attempt, but was a learning,
    I am planning a new invention amphibious boat build in China that if done right may sell to a TV documentary, not only about a boat invention, but IP process pros and cons.
    This time I will have my two sons Myark and Casper alongside with my wife translating Chinese for me as we have spent 9 years over the last 16 years in China developing our ideas into reality, maybe we make money one day but mean time we have a good life of freedom and venture.
    Here are some movie clips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfSuAtiVkQ I placed on YouTube some years ago, also below pictures filming on lake with Trish Armstrong.
    I have worked alongside many TV companies who hired Myark folding trailer barges as well as trailer barges with plug in torsion suspensions.
    Hercules and Zena Princes Warrior were good customers from the USA, Myark was the only company in NZ that could satisfy their on water filming needs.
    You do not need a large film crew sometimes, when I was a boy 1967 I watched this Canadian man on TV venture into the wilderness with a gun and camera filming himself surviving of the land, it was big hit on a TV documentary around the world.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. PAR

That's great Myark, though the concepts that found favor a half a century ago, might not be so remarkable now, nor would their desire to promote your products, on their development dollars and with their market share, which seems all you're interested in.

14. myark

myark Senior Member

“Troll” I Have asked you to stop stalking me many times now, take your nasty troll tactics to face book.
    This is boat design forum, not mudslinging matches.

15. PAR

I made that post (the one you've quoted) about a year ago, so is that the best you can do, dig up year old posts to toss around. No one is stalking you, though many have spoken the truth about your posts, which does seem to hit a nerve with you. I'm fairly sure 99.99 percent of the members here wouldn't consider me a troll, with the obvious exception of you. Given this fact, maybe we're onto something and a little guilt has appeared, about your constant attempts to promote and brag about your silly little RV contrivances.

This is my last post and there's absolutely nothing in it that's inaccurate. Having been contacted by the very person you've been just dieing to have call you, I can assure you, the last thing they want is someone with your (seemingly) personality traits. No producer is interested in a self promoting, self bloviating, character for their next project. You posts here are indicative of this clearly pompous technique, which most simply find insulting and of course why I occasionally pick on you, which amounts to once or twice a year, so get over it and yourself. As I previously mentioned, the "Ignore" button is still available to you.

1 person likes this.