Order of operations: importing a paper line drawing into CAD?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pylasteki, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Pylasteki

Pylasteki Junior Member

Hi guys,

I'm plugging away at importing a line drawing of the Pearson Triton into Solidworks 2005.

I've outlined the hull sheer and hull lines to the middle of the ink lines (Imported as a JPG and splined over them.)

Whats your preferred way to go about placing all these 2d lines in 3d space? :D

Where to start... I've learned that fairing lines aren't worth much until theres something to place them on! :D

2. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

I assume that you have all your lines in 1 sketch so you need to create a plane at each section, copy the sketch to each plane, delete the sections that dont belong (or convert them to construction geometry) and then loft through them. The 2d to 3d tool bar might short cut this for you.

Have a look at this You tube video. There's no sound but you'll get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5XBa9xoKp4

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Most of these cad programs are pathetic in doing what you are about to do. The million clicks to do something simple.

The best software I have seen yet that do that is Mastercam.

4. Pylasteki

Pylasteki Junior Member

That youtube video was quite helpful.

Had not thought about building it from layers like that!

I'll keep plugging away and see where I end up.

Thanks guys!