Rhino Beginner Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by LePrince, Aug 8, 2020.

1. LePrince

LePrince Junior Member

Hi all

I'm new with rhinocero software

i had 3d lines drawn on AutoCAD and Iimported it into rhino as self training on creating surface

it's a little bit simple lines for tug boat (most sections are straight lines except for and aft)

i mainly used "sweep 2 rails" command by using two knuckle lines and use sections in between as cross section curves

the output wasn't that good (of course my fault :)) as you can see in attachment

is there something I've missed or is there are further steps to get my surface faired .

advices are very welcome

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Le Prince unfortunately the screen shots don’t tell the whole story. Were the imported lines fair? Were there to many sections? Did they have to many points and so have to many defection points (think smoothing out a crumpled piece of paper). what is the Gaussian range set at (was auto range selected ?). Why not try to draw the lines in rhino first rather than adding the complexity of the file tranfer.

TANSL likes this.
  3. LePrince

LePrince Junior Member

Dear Sir

Thanks for your time ….as you said file transfer may cause problems.
    I noted that there are too many points on each curve
    I'm new with rhino that's why I preferred to skip drawing lines on Rhino and focus on surface creation, but if drawing lines on rhino will help, I can go back some steps and draw lines on rhino and try again and give feed back

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

LePrince investigate the rebuild command it may help you reduce the number of points in your lines, also the 2rail command adds points to the new surface as away of transitioning from one section to another along the rail lines. Use as little number of section as you can to get a smoother shape.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.