Stability calculations of a floating crane

Discussion in 'Stability' started by pankguru4, Jul 26, 2007.

1. pankguru4

pankguru4 Junior Member

I am a user of formsys Maxsurf in India and would like to know some answers for the following doubts:-

We have to compute stability of a floating crane and I have found that to calculate the stability of the floating crane, we have to run loading conditions with the load at all extreme positions of jib outreach. can this type of computations be carried out in Hydromax ? If yes then how?

Thank you

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I'm not familiarized with Hydromax, but the usual thing is to first calculate stability with load centered, and then studying the effect of suspending it from the extreme of the full extended rig to the side (usually a sinus-cosinus function curve intersecting the GZ curve).
    Have a look at chapter 6.5 in : http://www.nmsc.gov.au/documents/NSCV_Subsection_6A_2nd.pdf

3. Bassoom

Bassoom Junior Member

Thank you, this link is great.

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.