Turning issues

Discussion in 'Stability' started by racko650, Sep 9, 2007.

1. racko650

racko650 New Member

G'day all

I recently purchased a second hand fiberglass 1968 Wiltshire "Skiflight" 4.70m in length.
    It has a murcury 65 outboad, a bit underpowerd i think.

The hull is a very smooth "V" hull at the front that changes into a flat bottom at the rear, dose this hull type have a typical name, please correct my wording as i am new to the boating jargon. haha.

When i excuite a turn at any planing speed the boat rolls over to the side before more input is needed to inituate the turn, it feels quite unnatural im just curious is this normal to this type of hull.

Now the hull has no ribs what so ever. And I think its the terminology "flares" please correct, the ribs that run up higher on the side of the hull that touch water in a turn are quite small.

Any way that i can imporve the turning ability of this craft would be great, some help for this first boat owner would be muchly appriciated.

Travis :)

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Some boats do turn better than others, However if it does it both ways theres not a lot you can do.

I assume you mean rolls into the turn --not out?

Firstly make sure the cavitation plate is approx 2-3inches bellow the bottom of the boat.

It would probably be better if you attempted the turn at a higher speed. Perhaps you need a little more time with it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.