Turning a Mazda MX5 (Miata) into a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mike N, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Mike N

Mike N Junior Member

Take the wheels off that and it's exactly what I'm imagining. What a fantastic company!

Attached Files:

2. jakeeeef

jakeeeef Senior Member

Yes, whenever I drive down the motorway at 80 mph in heavy rain and savage spray from the lorries in a completely reliable, warm and waterproof £400 car, I always think how good it would be if small boats could do anything like this.

I guess it's a size/ weight thing. A boat the size of an MX5 cannot afford to be anything like the weight of an MX5.

Pilot boats 20m- and upwards, Have lovely heated wheelhouses, carpets, decent wipers, demist etc. Just like being in a truck. But the size allows the extra weight to be carried.

You could do it with a boat the size of a small car, but only if everything you added was carbon fibre to keep the weight down and still allow it to be stable and perform well. Sticking the top half of an MX5 on a boat might float, but it wouldnt be stable or perform very well. It would take hundreds of hours and ultimately also be worthless while the parts that your Mazda is made of are not.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can build a plywood jonboat and have a small electric heater running off the alternator from an outboard. However, if you want the comfort of a modern car in the motorway; small boats won't fit the bill.

4. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

it has been probably said already but the answer is no.

Easier to get a used boat and figure out the convertible top setup on it. And I don't mean literal car convertible top but some kind of slide away or removable targa (car sense) lids etc,

Start from some kind of hard top boat (HT boats are a thing ate least here there are gazillion of these by different manufacturers from 1970s to today) and figure out a slide away roof. The Miata will never be a decent boat.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.