Turmoil in Egypt

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Vulkyn, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Sorry, but I get a real laugh out of Egypt's idea of democracy, especially when
    it comes to the military.
    In what other "truly democratic systems" does the military not have to reveal
    its budget and owns pasta and cement factories, hotels and service stations?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Wayne, I think I see what you mean . . .

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Not funny Leo..

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Imagine what the military in Burma owns

5. Leo Lazauskas

Maybe not, but true nevertheless.

6. Leo Lazauskas

Sure, but nobody thinks of Burma as a democracy.

In a way, we are being asked to think of Egypt's army as saviours of Egypt's
    fledging democracy. But if you look at their record and their wealth it's hard to
    believe that is what will happen.

Secondly, I'm not convinced that an over-whelming majority of Egyptians are
    committed to democracy. The MB and other Islamist parties got a substantial
    proportion of the vote and they are not necessarily committed to a lot of the
    same democractic institutions that you and I take for granted.

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I am.. Thou what you and I think has nothing to do with reality. But I was there last month so maybe I have a bit of insight.

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

My impression is that the educated class in Egypt truely wants a functioning democracy.

9. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

13 million is hardly substantial he only won by 2 %

Unfortunately the number of people who voted was poor at best. Had more people voted things would have been a lot different.

I guess one of the major problem is that Egypt is indeed very young in politics and democracy ..... we have a LOT to learn and i do hope we learn it very VERY quickly ...

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

You never shared your experience on the trip teddy .... what was your impression ? And you where in a rather charged period prior to the explosion ...

11. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

In the presidential elections the voters were given the choice between Morsi of the MB, and Shafik - the former PM under Mubarrak. Shafik (PM of Musharaff government) seemed a poor alternative to Morsi and perhaps part of the reason for poor voter turnout.

Vulkyn, being much closer to the action, I wonder if you had any comments about that.

12. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

good point. america have more problems than most. they should be looking after their own people not trying to run everyone elses countrys. that poor aussie bloke was out for a run and gets shot dead by some black kids and a white trash kid because they were bored. gotta love them gun laws. yee haw.

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

The major thing to “learn” is that casting a vote to elect a leader is not a symbol or criterion for democracy. The voting is the icing on the cake, so to speak.

If the institutions, the infrastructure, the legal system the separation of “church and state” and law enforcement are not open transparent, independent and well established, then no amount of window dressing of “we voted for our leader” will convince anyone that a country is free and democratic. Just look at Zimbabwe, or Iran, for example. They all voted “freely” for their leaders!...but what is behind this “freely elected” vote in terms of transparency independence and accountability?...nothing!

Having a vote is not the be all and end all of democracy; institutions need to be in place for that to occur then the “icing on the cake” is the vote to elect a leader to govern the country in such a manner as befits the institutions that are set up. It has taken Europe many centuries to get to where they are now, and even now, they are not perfect. But,…. the systems are there as is the accountability and transparency, most of the time!

14. Leo Lazauskas

One thing to learn is that good organisation is very important. That's why
    the MB were able to get into power with their numbers.
    Now you have to claw all that back using the army, and using petitions and
    protests. Out-voting them in the first place would have been a better way :)

15. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Egyptians have to get their own act together and work it out. Whatever we try to do they'll hate us for it and it probably won't work. Give Egypt 10 to 20 years and it will work itself out. Or let the Australians try to help this time :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.