Turmoil in Egypt

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Vulkyn, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The whole of the Middle East is a shambles of artificial borders largely drawn up in the British Foreign Office for the convenience of colonial administration, rather than reflecting divisions between historically disparate ethno/religious groups. Iraq is a prime example.

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

So you saying Saddam had a historical cause :D

3. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I am more than happy to discuss the religious topic but not in this forum. Please feel free to PM me if you like :)

Today Morsi supporters are calling for a millionaya (basically a million gathering.) to save (guess!) Egypt from the evil people who have taken it from their hands (Never though of myself as an evil person .... then again who am i to argue with the all knowing MB?)

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Sunnis/Shiites - Tomato/Tomahto

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is a gross over simplification and only based on relatively recent history. Colonial influence has had a play, but this is just a small part of the equation, which as you'd expect is quite complex and convoluted.

6. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I'm certain the Military would quickly adopt our constitution and make it work within a year.
    If they could get away from the Muslim Religion!

7. PAR

The problem is the Brotherhood, who's agenda is well understood frankly, but they've learned to be good politicians, telling the folks what they want to hear and doing what they want, once they've won power.

It's a typical extremist group, wanting to force everyone to their ideals of morality and religious doctrine. They engage in violence, political assassination (like Egyptian Prime Minister Mahmoud an-Nukrashi Pasha and installing radical governments such as Hamas. How modern societies can buy into this crap is beyond me. It's one thing to wish and believe something, yet another to wedge it down the throats of those that don't and impose absurd laws and traditions, that only someone from the 15th century could approve.

8. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

Par, Mr Efficiency's comment is in reality not an over simplification nor or is the 'colonization' by western interests a recent event.

The Crusades were just some of the 'invasions' that caused changes to the dynamics of early Islamic ME the effects of those still impacting today but before the crusades other martial cultures were in play, Alexandra the Great, Rome, Turks, Napoleon all had a hand in reshaping the ME.

9. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

And we (=most European countries) haven't had borders drawn by others more powerfull? As well as religious and political extremists..

10. Titirangi

Europe's boarders were created by first hunter gatherers tribal leaders as tribe boundaries in the stone age then rearranged in bronze period that continued to be realigned under tribal regional chieftains later as self elected kings, then military Popes, para military religious orders and (Spain) Moors.

But this thread is about Egypt

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The Crusades were themselves a backlash of Christian Capitol after Capitol falling to advancing invading armies from the East.

12. Titirangi

The 1st Crusade was a Papal armed response to a call by the Bizantine ruler of Jerusalem to regain control of the city taken by Muslim Turks but the Bizantine themselves were in essence Constantinople Greeks, Roman colonists invaders of Jerusalem for the expansionist eastern Rome empire.

Control of the whole region was fluid suffering an on going land grab driven by realestate savy spiritual leaders.

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Back to the thread guys, let's leave stuffin our own agendas down other folks throats to the extremists . . .

14. Titirangi

That remark is not necessary, neither 'agenda's' or ego's are involved merely history as it happened if you cared to research it, then you would know that the events mentioned were to also change the coarse of Egypt's history delivering the principle elements that are in play today

15. PAR

It would be nice it it was as simple as described, but it's not, though as a history buff, I'm more than willing to return to the topic of this thread.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.