Turmoil in Egypt

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Vulkyn, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Unfortunately Egypt is not a constructive society, work ethics and productivity are foreign terms.
    You not only have to teach people how to do work properly you basically have to re-program a lot of their behaviour.

Its a shame there is so much unrealised potential.

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Well looks like a cluster frack .....
    US is threatening the Army claiming its a military coup (is that how its spelled?) the army is threatening Morsi to step down, Morsi is threatening Egypt and the Army because they are going against the Legislation, the People are threatening the muslim brotherhood.

Did i miss anything ? Oh yah 5 pm today is D-day ....

1 person likes this.
  3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Good luck Vulkyn and keep your head down.

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

If they don't cancel our flights I'm going to check next week if the pyramids are still in one million pieces stacked together and Vulk is safe ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Vulkyn, get to that boat, stay on it till you come to a different country and surrender immediately.
    Worry about Repatriation after the Rioting is over.

6. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

The coup is under way as I just read it.

The USA is probably only interested in keeping the Suez open.

"Omnishambles" is also an acceptable alternative to "clusterfrack".

If there is any danger, just stand sideways against a wall and frieze. :)

Best of luck to you and your family!

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Obamashambles is correct. He gave money and Planes to Egypt. (just who has all that is a mystery to me)
    Then he sent Hillery to tell Morsi we are solidly behind him.
    Now, Obama aint even close to him! How things can change so completely and quickly.
    The U.S. will probably evacuate Morsi and give him asylum in this country.

I'd give him Asylum in "East Mongolia" and let the radicals take him out at their leisure without endangering American lives.

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Bon voyage and don't lose any vital parts, especially your CPU.

Good luck, Vulkyn.

1 person likes this.
  9. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Thanks, I'l try to keep it together. Pictures later..

1 person likes this.
  10. PAR

Congratulations, Morsi has been removed in a bloodless coup. Elected with a slight majority (51%) he didn't address economic or personal freedoms issues, instead focused on consolidating the Brotherhood's hold on the parliament and instituting Islamic law.

The military is very familiar with running Egypt, having done so for the last 3 decades, but there's hope, with the announcements made today, which included all the major religious leaders (christian too) on stage with the general, as well as a vocal Nobel Prize winner. Lets hope . . .

As to all the misinformed talk about American aid and involvement, well, you should pay attention folks, as the USA has had very little influence on Egypt for years. Granted the old USSR equipment has been slowly and progressively replaced with NATO equipment, but at both our and their own benefit, most notably the license to build M1 Abrams. French and British equipment is also heavily relied on. This is just good political and business sense, frankly. The ability to enjoy coordinated military exercises with the second most powerful military in the region is a significant and fruitful prospect. Egypt's military has been helpful in recent conflicts and has served as a significant powerful friend on occasion. Of course, all of this started and enjoyed long before Obama was elected.

After 911 and since, with the political change in Egypt a few years ago, the US has had a much less important role to play. This is due mostly to the Egypt's unwillingness to send troops to Afghanistan and Iraq, though Egypt firmly backed the US in its war against international terrorism after 911, but refused to send troops. This coupled with lots of little "incidents" such as the raid on over a dozen NGO's and the storming of the US embassy last year, repairs to relations have been slow. Don't be fooled, we are strong allies and I for one am proud of this. They're going to sort through this, possibly learning harsh lessons of the value of a vote and sectarian isolationism. No country can stay secular and survive. Communications, travel and just basic modern thinking will always fight this, so the old guard must die off or accept the realities of modern societies being non-secular. Japan was the last to really give this middle age concept a good try and it ended with WW II, not so good for them. For some reason, Islamic countries continue to try this, but 30 years seems to be about the threshold, before all hell breaks loose and the government gets tossed. If you look at the recent history of these countries, even the most powerful monarchies or dictators get their princes killed off every 30 years or so. This trend will likely accelerate in coming decades as communications advances have made the ability to sequester a nation, relatively imposable, so folks will want freedoms. Oppression, as effective as it's been, will only go so far. Just ask the Shah of Iran or the clans of Saudi Arabia or king Saud what he thought of Faisal .

11. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I believe there was a fear at one time that the MB planned to destroy the pyramids, as the Taliban did to the The Buddhas of Bamiyan. Apparently sanity prevailed, especially in view if the fact that the pyramids are demonstrably not idols or representations of sentient beings, proscribed in Islam. I wonder if the priceless art of ancient Egypt is still safe.

Governments have a habit of promising to implement the wishes of the voting public until they gain power then decide that what the government wants is what the people truly want.

"After all, they voted us in didn't they?"

The bottom line seems to be, the people of Egypt distrust their army less than they distrust their politicians. They may be right . . .

12. PAR

The military ruled Egypt for a generation and half, so they have good reason not to trust them.

13. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Egypt seems to be facing a Faustian choice. From what I can see here, a continent removed, the military is the lesser evil.

14. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Given the position that the military have had in Egypt and the hands off attitude they showed during the anti-Mubarak uprising (compared to the police), they have more political respect than any other Egyptian organization at present. At least, that's my take on the situation. The question is, will they take and try to keep power, or will they try to re-establish and rebuilt a shattered democracy.

I would really lke to get Vulkyn's input on these questions and some of the opinions we outsiders have floated lately: he is close to the situation there . . .

15. PAR

The military doesn't want to run the country, at least Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi doesn't want to and he's had the chance previously. He appears to be a good solder and proud Egyptian, who will salute who ever is elected and serve loyally, as any good solder would. This is a noble thing, which may elevate him in political standing, if he elects to go that route. I think there's been a significant house cleaning after the fall of Mubarak and many of the hard line old schoolers are gone.

We took a couple of swings at democracy, before we eventually settled on our current arrangement. I hope they get it worked out quickly. Like I said, it ain't easy, but it is rewarding once you get it ironed down.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.