Turmoil in Egypt

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Vulkyn, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Vulkyn
    thanks for the knews and stay safe
    best of luck
    B

2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Hey Vulkyn,

Couple of things I've been wondering...

Is El Badari seen as a viable candidate for president?

Is this just about him or his entire regime like in Tunisia. If Mubarak leaves do you think the people who run the services will be forced out as well?

What role is the Muslim Brotherhood playing? Do you see them as being the most likely replacement for the current regime?

Thanks and stay safe!

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

"Muslim Brotherhood... being the most likely replacement for the current regime?" - Good God, Don't even whisper that.

4. wardd

wardd Senior Member

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I'm hoping most of your Civilian Population are enjoying Capitalism they have had for awhile. At least enough to reject the Muslim Extremists and keep the economy going.

Nothing will make people as happy as "More Money" and Capitalism is the source of "More Money".

Tonight I heard a commentator say that Your military is well trained and not at all a threat to the populace, but deadly to the Extremists.

6. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

It's called democracy. When the majority of people share a common faith and elect or support politicians who promote that faith.

Historically the US has only supported democracy when we liked the people who got elected. When the people elect somebody we don't like then we start supporting "stability in the region", i.i. a dictator.

Besides, the most ardently religious country in the world is our good friends the Saudis. We support the rights of women, just as long as they're not standing on top of the oil.

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

Huffington? Are you serious?
    From the Brotherhood's website if you think they are just interested in "freedom" as the English speaking version indicates: "Allah is our objective. The Prophet is our leader. Qur'an is our law. Jihad is our way. Dying in the way of Allah is our highest hope."�Muslim Brotherhood Their emblem, missing from the English website, and replaced by a pretty little girl:
    150px-Muslim_Brotherhood_Emblem.jpg
    I believe that the writing beneath the swords says "Prepare".

8. mark775

mark775 Guest

Our government's job is to protect our interests and that comes ahead of pressuring the Western way of life. Of course we would like the Saudis to be like us but we absolutely want their oil first.
    We certainly do have some progressive thinkers here!

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In the short term the brotherhood will make gains, possably substantial if they force the current government to fold up and leave town. The strong arm tactics that served so well to keep these radicals in check, will disappear with the tossing of Mubarak and his disciples. This is one of the major reasons he is resisting immediate "retirement". There are several other reasons, as I mentioned previously, but quelling the radicals and keeping the various key persons in the local, regional and federal governments well "greased" is his political machine.

You must remember he was the military answer to Sadat's assassination and typical of the era. He had to get control of a country that was still really pissed about the Camp David Accord and the fastest and usual method of the day was with an iron fist. Plus they got to trade in their dated USSR made equipment in favor of US built hardware. He's not the hated man that other dictator's have been, when they've reached this point in their career. If he stepped down with some level of dignity, he'd be able to walk down the streets and live in the country.

The biggest issue I see right now is the opposition needs to select a leader and stop being a mob. This is much easier said then done, particularly in a country where every level of government is grossly corrupt, in a cold war mentality. They bought their way to power or imprisoned those that couldn't be bought. The whole of the Muslim world is like this, with the exception of Indonesia, all the major Muslim countries are ruled as absolute monarchies, out and out dictatorships or presidential republics, with a heavy does of presidency. Theocracy dictated government (like Iran) will be the path the brotherhood tries to employ. You need solders to pull this off, so in the confusion of the revolt, the brotherhood will gain ground. Once a new government is established, they'll quickly realize why Mubarak was so heavy handed and if they have any good sense to them, will move to squash the radicals. Maybe they'll use a little more discretion, but it's unlikely in the near future, because they know what it means if the brotherhood isn't squashed.

1 person likes this.
  10. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Jihad literally translates to struggle. That term is used to mean everything from struggling with your own faith to struggling to better your community. Ghandi's non-violent resistance that lead to independence in India is generally referred to as jihad. Jihad is the duty of every Muslim, just as living by the ten commandments is the duty of every Christian.

1 person likes this.
  11. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Thx guys ! yah problem is so many parties are playing the strings now ....
    Right after his speech which won over a large portion of the people, thugs miraculously appeared to attach the peaceful protesters ... i mean no rational person would discredit himself that openly .... leads me to believe that others hired them to make discredit him and make him look bad.

Most Egyptians are peaceful, we love life, simplicity, we do not care about color, religion etc... we just want a peaceful existence even the thugs that where caught people would try to protect them prior to delivering them to the army so they dont get harmed.

PAR very valid argument Egypt us 85 million spanning different regions, cultures and mentality its very hard to unit and to maintain a balance.
    Reminds me of 1973 war, we fought not to win the war but to gain political strength then ask for peace. We must realize that we can gain much more now and a lot of reform is underway ... we must be persistent and continue in the path of correcting political situation.

Today people started going back to work and trying to get back to a normal life and there are still thousands of protesters in tahrir square ...

Yes cat i have seen so much +ve out of this chaos .... i will try to post more pics but this one is Christians protecting their Muslim brothers as they pray .. i cant say enough about this pic except it really brought tears to my eyes ... this is what it means to unit as a country regardless of age, sex, religion, color, beliefs etc.... for the common good of all ...

Attached Files:

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

He is not popular at all ... i think the minority support him, i personally have very little respect to him after a few of his so called speeches ...

They are being removed now ... the figures perceived as the heads of corruption. Problem with mubarks regime is too many politicians had top much power and abused their authority ... this must be changed and i belief its in the process.

They are trying to get the best of the situation. I am a Muslim and i would not vote for them simply because i do not see them as a viable rational alternative. They have popularity but a lot of Egyptians are very skeptical about their agenda, their methods and their views.

Thx :) i will try to stay safe but things have settled down a lot ....

13. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

PAR again very keen insight ..... thats my view as well .... IRAN announcement that Egypt WILL be joining them very soon. They are part of the hands trying to force change in their favor and the Muslim brotherhood seem to be on of their tools and if not they are pretty much helping IRAN's agenda ...

This is another picture, the soldiers had strict orders not to attack and they watched the violence and couldnt intervene this was a soldiers reaction to the blood that was spilled ...

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

If Mubarak leaves tomorrow, who do you see stepping in? Is there any group that has it's act together well enough to gain wide support?

15. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Unfortunately the current regime insured any political figures where rooted out before they gain wide spread support ... so if he leaves tomorrow it would be a disaster imo.

However if he leaves after the upcoming elections it would give an opportunity to other political figures to develop.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.