1994 Crusader Xli

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by hlblake, Aug 20, 2020.

1. hlblake

hlblake Junior Member

I was hoping someone could maybe help me out. I have an older Bertram Moppie with twin 1994 Crusader XLi (throttle body injection). And I am looking to repower/refresh the engines.

The serial number of the motors are 094165 and 094167. It is my understanding that they are both standard rotation.

I believe these motors to be Gen 5. Does anyone know the power curve and cam profile for these powers? Additionally will the the TBI and intake on my existing motors bolt up to a Gen 6 long block?

I am trying to either find a reputable company for either new or reconditioned long blocks. So if anyone has recommendation suggestions I would be very grateful. It appear that replacement engines are long gone but it there is some new old stock somewhere ......

The only other opinion I can think of is finding a quality machine shop.

The boat is on the chesapeake bay right now.

Thanks

2. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Small blocks, correct? Why not go right to Crusader? Crusader Engines | Premium Marine Engines https://www.crusaderengines.com/

Another option would be to go right to GM. They're now making the "classic" small block 5.7/350. You'd need to inquire about cam profiles, but marine engines are generally quite similar to trucks and cam profiles should be similar. You can always call them and ask.

As for the TBI, I'd advise that if you're going to the expense of a repower and you want injected engines just upgrade to MPI. On the 5.7 GM went to what was called a "central sequential fuel injection" system in 1996, finally doing away with the TBI system. That lasted a short time and was prone to problems. They threw in the towel and went to a true MPI system a few years later. There was a retrofit for the CSFI system that upgraded it to true MPI. I did one a number of years ago and found it a pretty easy job if you can follow directions.

As for the TBI "bolting up", GM made a lot of changes to their cylinder heads over the years in the quest for fuel economy. You'd need to check with GM as to what might or might not work. If you decide to stick with the TBI I'd suggest posting on a Chevy truck forum, there are a lot more people modifying trucks than boats.

Another option to consider would be the tried and true carburetor. Holley makes a whole line of marine carbs. I use one on my single engine gas powered boat, runs great, it's simple and the set up was easy.

Don't forget a fork lift.

I see you're a new member. Welcome to the forum!

Regards,

MIA

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  3. hlblake

hlblake Junior Member

The 7.4 are big-blocks, which is making this not as easy as I hoped. I have been speaking with someone a Crusader (probably getting on his nerves at this point).

Though I prefer the cooling system of Crusader to that of Mercruiser (at least on the older stuff); I looked into the 8.1 or 8.2 that Mercury is "remaking" I believe these were based / considered "Gen 7". But the 8.1 (Gen 7) stuff is too high to fit under the deck. This model Bertram looks similar to a Tiara 31. And a diesel conversation is out of my price range.

The posted in the GM Truck form is actually a good idea.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The new 5.7 are rated at 315 HP compared to the 7.4 that was 330 HP.

5. hlblake

hlblake Junior Member

yes, but the torque curve appears to be very different. The boat weighs over 12,000 pounds and is straight drive not stern drive.

I also don't want to have to worry about changing props, transmissions switching to electric throttles

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You could try Jasper Engines.

7. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

Are you sure both engines are standard rotation. Seems odd for a shaft drive

8. hlblake

hlblake Junior Member

It is my understanding that they are both standard (LH) rotation and the velvet drive transmission does the conversion.

9. hlblake

hlblake Junior Member

I heard about some people have had bad experience with Jasper. Granted you hear more about the bad the the good. I trying to confirm if there were any difference between the engines builds between Mercruiser and Crusader of those time periods besides the cooling systems

10. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

Not possible with direct drive. Do you have reduction drives

11. hlblake

hlblake Junior Member

I believe they are 1.51:1 or something like that

brendan gardam likes this.
  12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Mercruiser and Crusader used GM engines. They didn't build them. I have been using Jasper engines for about 30 years. There was only one engine that had a problem, and they exchanged it without trouble.

13. hlblake

hlblake Junior Member

yes GM made the motors and the different company design the cooling system. But what I dont know is if there were different spec given to GM regarding like cam profiles for example. I want to retain the TBI system which is way I am trying to better understand the engine confirmation offered. It is my understanding that I can get new Gen VI block but I dont know if those with work with my Gen V intake manifold and TBI injectors and computer.

Other opinions are recond long block or finding a reputable machine shop. Additionally if if there are small changes that I can make on the rebuild (configuration) then that is something I would consider as well. But then i need to take my props, shafts and other things into consideration.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that before you go any further, you need to determine whether your engines both turn the same way or not. Velvet Drive transmissions will not "convert" the rotation. In fact, they will not shift if the pump is set for the opposite rotation than the engine has. One way to know, is to look at the propellers and see if they are both the same hand or opposite. A right turn engine is harder to get because it has no automotive application. The serial number of the engines should start with two letters. Also, the Gen V and VI have the same heads.

15. hlblake

hlblake Junior Member

I appreciate the feedback but I guess I forgot to add I gave the serial numbers to Crusader and their records show both engines to be standard rotation. When I look at the cable on the transmission I do notice the direction between the to engines to be different. I guess I can also confirm my the tranny serial numbers with velvet drive just to dote i and cross the t.

I was under the impression that there were some difference between gen v and gen vi engines, including the heads or least the rocker arms (roller vs not). I'm not GM big block expert which is why I'm asking all the questions. As I mention this is a fishing boat not a speed boat so durability is most import to me (as this is a large sum of money at least for me) but if I can gain some addition cruise speed or fuel economy by making some informed decision I would like to do so.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.