TURANOR PlanetSolar - Cat or Tri?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 14, 2012.

1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The normal definition for a trimaran is for the main hull to be immersed at rest and able to carry a significant portion of the boats displacement in that mode. The catamarans pictured carry their normal displacement in the two hulls the main hull provides reserve buoyancy.

3. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

It is definitely a catamaran. But In my opinion a much more usable layout than the conventional cat.

I like the fact that the center hull provides a huge living area and because of the hull shape it also minimizes any pounding in rough seas. Another big benefit is all mechanical systems can go in the main hulls giving a quiet center hull.

Another benefit is the main hulls are very small and can be built tough with minimal materials. The center hull can be a much lighter construction as it will only see occasional wave impacts. Of course the structure that joins the two main hulls must be stout.

I have been working on my own version of Planet Solar, little more than half the size and diesel powered. I am still in the initial layout and design stages, so far I am very happy with the design. In fact it really has way more room than I need but efficiency requirements are driving the hull lengths.

Edit - I forgot to mention that the Planet Solar has one thing most catamarans do not which is a center "rudder". You can see it in some pictures and there are no rudders on the main hulls. I think the center "rudder" is fixed and only used for directional stability. The motors are used for directional control. In my opinion it is a bad idea and I will be using a conventional rudder on each hull.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.