transmission

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by golden egg, Jan 8, 2009.

1. golden egg

golden egg New Member

I just purchased a 1985 33 egg harbor. looking to do a complete remodel. I will be pulling out the 454 engines for a complete rebuild. Any advise on the easiest way to get them out from the engine compartment. Also has any one rebuild the transmission, and what ratio are they? can i change the ratio on them to gain some speed?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Usually you employ a boom or gantry to hoist the engines out of the boat's belly. A tree branch with a come-a-long can work in a pinch if the boat is on a trailer, though this isn't the easiest method.

It very likely the trans will have an ID plate with the reduction ratio stamped on it. A good cleaning will usually reveal this. If not, you'll need a serial number to match up with the manufacture. You can always turn the input shaft and count the revolutions on the output shaft for a reasonably accurate idea of it's reduction.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.