tunnel slot design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vulkyn, Sep 4, 2010.

1. yipster

yipster designer

my thoughts too, came across the video and no harm in sharing

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

i wasnt criticizing i was asking and sharing my thoughts ! and yes that was very generous of you :) should you came across any other please feel free to share them !

My post was intended as a magnet for the experienced members! maybe they will read my thoughts correct or approve it based on their experience :D

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Now lets not get confused tunnels are tunnels Cats are cats and they do not behave the same !! Tunnels are made for speed and will and do sit on a cushion of air , a cats does not !! oh sure there air there between the hulls but thats all . cats are good rough water stable as boats and can take a swag of hp to drive them , always twin motors and one of the worse things is to underpower them .
    Tunnels can even be family type boats as well as race boats , can be very roomy and very stable !! Will corner like they are on rails at speed if you have the guts to turn it hard round . The faster you drive them the better they go and the better they like it . Again they thrive on hp so never under power them . Can be twin or single powered .
    The slot is a form of tunnel with some of the advantages with tracking and stability but very little of the lift you get from a true tunnel . :confused: :D :p

Have spent a lot of time studying building anf driving tunnels Hence my name "TUNNELS" !!

4. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

5. yipster

yipster designer

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

iTS WASNT !!
    Each and every design has good points and bad points .Each and every matterial used for making boats has good and bad side to it . No two boats ever seem to behave the same . :p :D :)

7. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

8. mark westoz

mark westoz New Member

i was glade to join this forum and read this thread on mono hulls incorporating a sort of tunnel. ive been out of fullsize boats for a cupple years . and now slowly getting one going again .
    im in the prosess of rebuilding a 17-1/2 foot c/c ,boat hull made by a compony that was making boats in perth in the 70`s and 80`s called glasscraft . the hull i beleve (as my father use to work for the company building these boats) was a proto type but he is getting on in age and cant remember how meany of these sort of plit tunnel mono hulls thay ended up making...
    the hull is in good over all condition and is the same as a nother c/c mono hull we had when i was a young kid. but it has a small tunnel incorporated into it . the tunnel its self is a 12inch wide at top of tunnel & 19-1/2inch bottom of tunnel and is about 6inch`s deep .sides of the tunnel a v shape not strate up and down.
    its a shame i cant find out much info on the hull i have , but my father remembers thay were trying them out on sume boats to give some lift to the hull but other then that he cant remember how meany were made . that sead a cupple years ago i was looking at boats for sale and do remember seeing a nother glasscraft hull with this tunnel in the hull.
    so maybe others somewhere may know about these hulls.
    glasscraft boats was a perth west australian bassed boat builder in bayswater in the late 60`s ,70`s and early 80`s. making all sorts of fiberglass boats , mainly trailerable boats .
    my father use to race them in the 70`s around perth when there was lots of river and offshore racing hapening here. ive got lots of slides with the old boats racing.....

cheers for a very informative forum , i look forward to doing lots of reading..
    and was great to finaly see some links to simalar hull desin as to what i have althow thay are a lot bigger then rhe hull i have

9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

they are not bad looking boats but the fact you never see any tells me a mono is better, here in australia there are a lot of cats, we are the world leaders in cat design and production so i would assume if the slot tunnels were good there would be a lot of them around but i have never seen one. personally i would rather be in a mono than a cat at sea any day, i can't get used to the different motion they have .

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Just came back from a boat show, seems the new trend is the inverted W design. Saw a couple of them. Almost a tri-marine (single monohull + 2 additional smaller hulls on both sides). Ill try to post some pics :).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.