best design Alber30, Bristol28, CD28

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by William C. Wins, Feb 9, 2008.

1. William C. Wins

William C. Wins Junior Member

I would appreciate some imput on comparisons between the classic (60-70ies) Alberg 30, Bristol 29 and CD 28.

2. Clinton B Chase

Clinton B Chase Senior Member

I have looked at the Albergs and know a little about the Bristols and CD's. But I think I need some info to help you: if you found specs on these boats and posted them and other facts, we might be able to do some better comparisons: I forget these specs. Also, what do you really want to know? I can tell you that in general they are all well made boats, heavily built hand-laid up glass hulls. Each will have their own design flaws and you probably will only find out what those are by going to the owners associations and asking some people who have found those flaws over years of use. For example, all Tartan 30s were known to have weak starboard chainplate assemblies; they leaked and many of us came up with good fixes. If you want performance comparisons lets look at data. If you want aesthetic comparisons lets looks at some photos. Glad to help, but need more info.

Cheers,
    Clint

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

The CD 28 is the smaller of the three by more than the length might show. I like Bristols but have not sailed the 29. I Owned Alberg 30 #33, built in 1963, for 5 years. It is small compared to current 30 footers and appears even smaller inside because of not sacrificing useful storage room to eye catching open volume. Mine was a good-strong boat with much better glass work that you will find on later FG boats. Mine had no blisters and no crazing or cracks in the gelcoat when sold in 1975. Unlike some fin keelers, she would refuse to broach in strong gusts with the spinnaker sheeted in on a tight reach. She would however, try to tear your arm out of its socket at those times but, at least, you never lost control.

One great problem with the earlier Albergs was a lack of decent access to the engine. Getting to a badly leaking stuffing box required either taking out the spark plugs or finishing the job with 4 big dimples in your chest from laying on top of the engine. Don't ask how I know that.

Mine also had a Greymarine engine which was much stonger than the later Atomic 4's even though the Atomic was rated 5hp greater.

There are 3 Alberg 30's moored or slipped in my creek. All still look good.

4. William C. Wins

William C. Wins Junior Member

best design Alberg 30, Bristol 29, CD 28

In response to Clint. The specs are very similiar. I am really looking for two things: weaknesses in construction that will show up with age and sailing characteristics. I have not sailed any of the three boats.

5. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Alberd 30 s were great boats , but could probably be greatly improved downwind by pulling the keel atatched rudder , and installing a separate rudder on a skeg several feet further aft.Ditto most boats with a similar undewater profile.
    Brent

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.