TUGBOAT CONTEST-pick the winner!!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tugboat, Apr 15, 2012.

?

which tug do you like the best ot these three?!

Poll closed Apr 29, 2012.
  1. first tug

7.1%
  2. second (middle tug)

35.7%
  3. last tug

57.1%
  1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Wow, beautiful machines. Would be a wet dream for cyberpunks. :)

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi daiquiri,
    I don't know about "cyberpunks" - I would have imagined their mechanical interest would be more in the realm of "transformers" - Those engines would set most self-respecting steam 'phreaks' into an orgasmic 'phrensy', far superior to any drug induced high... I am no great steam lover, but they certainly set my mind into covetous thoughts of theft. :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

whoever machined that engine/s--was like a "guru" of machine work...!
    thats gotta be 300 hours of machining...:confused:

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Add *at least* another zero to that estimate....

PDW

5. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

:eek: wow thats just nuts!...im not a machinist-but why so much time?..whats the hardest part of that machining?..is it the setup?..or just the complexity?..very curious--ive always wanted to learn to machine..but it seems quite tedius and even small lathes are expensive...

6. abcdefg

abcdefg Junior Member

Funnily enough, I too have seen one of these engines in the flesh. I'm not going to say where it is or what it is going to power, as that is not my place. I will say however, that it is not going in a ferry. :)

The amount of work in that particular engine is astounding, but when you consider that you also need a boiler, feed pumps, condensers, tanks, etc what you see is just the tip of the iceberg of the work involved. Add a few peripheral systems, and the work required to produce this system is massive.

7. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

the winning tug

as stated the winning tug is the flat bottom design...the build is underway now- its being done in a hybrid cored/laminate style- with 3/8th solid triaxial laminate for the outer skin and 1/8th inch inner skin.
    i am using plascore "core" at 1 inch thick giving a high stiffness modulus as well as high impact resistance. the only internal framing needed are bulkheads and engine beds. Before i use the strongback method-ill attempt to join my panels together and cut out fullsize panels which will be pulled together to form the sides-then drop the bottom into the hull after glassing one side which will act as a form and then glass the topsides and bottom. since the core is "ultra light" it should easily be manipulated to form a type of core "stitch and glue" construction. the only reason this is viable is because the surfaces are developable in a single plane only--no complex curvature..hence the fantail-bottom sides etc are all curved in one direction only...so this should work--theoretically at least. the problem with the male mold is-even when the outer topsides are resin-glassed, it still might not retain its shape when removed from the mold-- so id be doing the same procedure anyway...
    and wood can get expensive for a male mold...so if stitch and glue core is possible--ill find out.
    the material- 1" honeycomb core by "plascore" has been ordered and is due to arrive in three weeks,..its a waiting game till then. normally honeycomb would not make a good tugboat hull since its design is more for sailboats..where weight is critical but it is very stiff and my extra thick triaxial laminates make this a durable and strong hull...

tests: i could not destroy my test sample in any way--it could not be broken punctured or holed..i spent an entire day trying...*without using mechanical methods such as a press or vise and lever.
    this sample was one sq ft of 1 inch thick core, with 1/8th inch outer laminate of 7 oz cloth using 10 -11 layers, and poly resin...
    its stiffer than steel, and highly rigid. because of the heavy laminates- the boat will weigh close to a plywood hull 3/4 inch thick...
    it will require ballast. but i can vary the waterline if needed.
    should be great stuff and sadly- its also a bit experimental.
    feedback appreciated...

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.