Intersleek-900

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CDK, Feb 7, 2010.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

This product from the chemical giant Akzo-Nobel seems to be the ultimate hull paint system to reduce drag and provide a surface too slippery for any marine growth. On large hulls they claim 6% fuel savings.
    I understood thus far that all existing anti-fouling layers must be removed first, scratches etc. repaired before this 3-layer paint system can be applied. This is of course very awkward and limits the Intersleek market mainly to new hulls.

http://www.international-pc.com/products/popularbrands/Pages/Intersleek.aspx

2. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

International Paint has a great reputation in the US.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

I am not happy with these people concerning this product (not the product but the people). Try insulator coating companies for similar product (silicone coating).

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

There seems to be no similar product Mark. This patented paint system solves the adherence problem of Teflon-based antifouling by using an intermediate layer over which the Teflon coat is applied before it is fully cured. Timing here is very critical: the applications manual gives the time windows for various temperatures and states that rain or condensation during the critical phase will completely ruin the project. I've never read such instructions for any other paint.

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hi CDK, I have experience of the coating as applied to aluminium Supercat ferries, the anti fouling performance is terrific, some small barnacles present (6-8mm after 18months or so) just pushed aside & these only close to areas of previous keel blocks from docking/slipping, some repairs had to be carried out from impact/scratching & these quite easily acheived with carefull proccess of cutting/scraping with sharp tools & following application & recoat times. The intermidiate coating was quite peculiar to apply- kinda snotty & carfull cutting in very important too on the finish. All the best from Jeff.

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Thanks for the info Jeff, the paint manual warns for damage caused by tools and barnacles caught in the cloth used to clean the hull. They suggest using pieces of new carpet for that.

I guess it's a bit like the teflon coat in a frying pan: once something sticks despite the coating and you reach for a knife, you damage it and the magic is over.