trying to take the right subjects for A-level - help!!

Discussion in 'Education' started by lottie, Jan 9, 2007.

1. lottie

lottie New Member

hi,

my name is lottie, I live in the UK, and i'm currently choosing my options to go to A-level. I'm having trouble trying to pick subjects that will get me into uni, but still keep my options open. I want to take two art subjects (probably fine art and graphic design, depending on where i go) but i would also like to take the correct a-levels to get into yacht/boat designing, preferrably without taking physics as I don't think I'd survive 2 more years of physics lessons.

I have the option of taking an engineering BTEC, but would that get me on any uni courses as I can only take 2 over A-levels with the BTEC (two arts) and would the BTEC fill up all my time so i can't do well in my arts??

please please help a very confused girl!!!

2. robsime

robsime Consultant Naval Architect

Hi Lottie,

Do you know which Universities you are thinking of applying to? If you want to study Naval Architecture you will certainly need to have Maths at A-level, and I'm pretty sure that most places will also require you to have physics. A third art subject is no problem (I did French just to give me a break from numbers!). I studied Ship Science at the University of Southampton, but here you will definitely need maths and physics. Might be worth checking out Southampton Solent University to see what they require there... I think their courses there are a little less maths orientated and they offer some really good yacht design courses.

Gve me a shout if you want to chat about it any more! You can email me on rob@robsime.com.

Good luck!

Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.