Naval Architecture in Chalmers Sweden

Discussion in 'Education' started by Jarppi, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Jarppi

Jarppi New Member

I've been studying Naval Architecture and soon graduating for BSc. I would like to study more and found a university in Sweden, Chalmers. Has anyone been there? Is it a good place?
    What about the difference between BSc and MSc, how big it is?

2. artem

artem New Member

I'm interested in this question also. I'm going to study there in the next fall. The main question is: How can I get a job, after becoming a master in Naval Architecture in Chalmers? And which rankings Chalmers have?

3. NordicFolkboat

NordicFolkboat Junior Member

I've taken courses on Chalmers myself. It's a great university, and Gothenburg is a very nice place to live.

4. mizzenman

mizzenman Junior Member

Chalmers is a nice place. OK I was bound to say that since I study there.

I don't study NA thought so It's hard for me to say anything specific about that.

Here are a few things international students seem to coment on regardign studies at Chalmers:

-There are so many assignements during the reading period that its hard to get time for actual study. That makes each quarter rather hectic, but on the other hand you can redo an exam how many times you like. And there is a lot of time for re-exams since the year is divided into four quarters of 8 weeks with exams in the end of eahc quarter.

-In sweeden its customary to address the profesors with their first name, without any title.And talk/ask questionsin in a completely causual manner.

-Your thesis work can be done in a company which will give you a chance to get a foot-hold in the industry.

my personal experience is that the MS courses are harder than the BS courses.

Good luck

5. artem

artem New Member

Thanks a lot! Well, it was a little bit inconsistent comments, but mostly positive, that's good. I hope I won't change my intention. But, maybe, someone can tell more about job opportunities after graduating in Chalmers?

6. Jarppi

Jarppi New Member

I'm also interested about swedish ship building? Is there any yard nearby Gothenburg?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.