tryin to find my perfect boat... 1/2 mackenzie 1/2 grand banks dory w sail/power/row

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jeepster, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jeepster

jeepster New Member

well this is my first poast on boatdesign.net and i have to say im amazed at the information offered here...

i was wondering if anybody could help...

currently i own a 78 glasply cuddy cruiser with a merc 470.... i paid 700$ for it and it is an amazing boat..... sure i had to rebuild half the engine and rewire a ton of stuff.... but that is what i do for a living. im a marine mechanic/boat builder/comercial fisherman... so without a question i know my way around boats. that little 19' glasply has taken bigger seas than the 35 footer i work on and handles it like a champ. i just cant afford to dump 100$+ every time i wana go camping or fishing

living in the pacific northwest, some of my favorite past times are trolling for salmon with downriggers and halibut/ling cod fishing.... but i also love fly fishing on the mountain lakes and steelheading on the rivers....

my fishing style has alot of conflict with my choice of boat because you simply cant fit a 20 some foot deep v in a river or flyfish from somehting with 200+hp inboard and a hard top in a lake that outlaws motors.

growing up as a kid, i was a huge sailor and spending my summertime on the east coast- mainly cape ann and glouchester MA, i have always had a soft spot for a dory.

assuming one can call a drift boat a dory, i have been searching for a boat that is a hybrid between a grand banks dory and a mackenzie river drift boat, around 20 feet with either a small inboard diesel, or outboard well, with a sail option.....

manditory: wider beam than a standard dory, but smaller than that of a drift boat..... but capable of handling whitewater although it will primarilly be a saltwater boat subjected to EXTREME currents and foul weather. capable of being rowed by 2 people, but stable enough to fly fish out of...... with structural integrity for downriggers, and safe enough to take out to the coast.

id like a wide beam 20-some foot boat that is cheap to opperate, powered by sail oar and diesel/outboard capable of hauling large loads up to 2000lbs seaworthy enough for the worst the pacific northwest can offer.... yet elegant enough to show off on a nice sunny summers day......

does such boat exist?

-Erik

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Erik; I cannot blame you for wanting it all.......but you can not have all those features rolled in to one package. Examples; standing in a dory to fly fish is not a good idea unless you like to swim....If you make the boat really wide like a drift boat it will not be the best planform for rowing......A boat like a banks dory is really salty looking and a very able boat when it is loaded it still is not a great design for a sail boat.....and so on.

Some others will surely jump in here with better encouragement. Don't give up.

3. Quatsino Boater

Quatsino Boater Junior Member

Don't know if this helps but when I was a little lad of 12 or so my father owned a 22 foot clinker, think it had a 2 cyl? air cooled and had a tiller for steering. I think it could have handled a sail. It was fairly heavy wooden boat. it did have oars that my buddy and myself rowed around the bay. We did do some trips with my father down Muchalat inlet. Even when the wind picked up and the tide was against the wind I felt pretty safe in the clinker.
    I don't think it would be good for a river but it wasn't bad on the ocean. I just don't know of anyone making them any more. I loved that boat. :)

I do know that one of the locals that lives in the inlet not accessable by roads has a similar boat. kind of a navy launch. Very sea worthy, he comes once a week for groceries ,rain or shine. these are not planing boats. they are heavy so I think they can take a sail.

but I really think you need two boats. I have a 14 lund ssv for prawning/ lake fishing along with my 22 footer. I winterize and put to bed my 22 footer for the winter. Winter prawning I use the tin boat. It's only 300 yard from the dock to the prawning grounds.

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

A few years ago I drew a lines plan for a fellow who wanted to build a 22' flat bottomed skiff for sport fishing here on the lower Columbia River. He wanted to try to get 10 mph with a 5 hp inboard deisel that he owned. Like you he had done enough boatbuilding so he didn't need anything from me but the lines and dimensions that I thought might give him his best chance of attaining that speed. I never heard back from him on how it turned out but it sounds like it would be similar to what you are looking for. For sailing you would just need to install a centerboard and I would suggest a lugsail for simplicity.
    For shallow water you would probably want an outboard and that would also be best for ease of rowing.
    Email me if you want any more information.

5. SeBo

SeBo New Member

Perhaps...

I had similar desires in an "all around" boat..minus a capability to "sail"..I'd end up knocking myself out. Right now I'm in the process of building a 23' Power Dory. The lake I have out my backyard doesn't allow gas motors, so if and when I fish there, I'll throw on my minn kota trolling motor. I can fish the Snake and Clearwater river for steelhead and then head down to Florence, OR or Depoe Bay or even launch off the beach at Pacific City. Stable platform for flyfishing, crabbing, halibut etc. Ohh...and she can be rowed too if need be. Just a thought for you. Good luck in your search!

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.