Try to avoid being shipwrecked but especially in Fiji on a weekend.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Corley, Nov 25, 2012.

1. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Maybe we should pushing the govt to start sending invoices to govts of boat peoples the RAN are continually having to rescue -
    Invoice
    Item: one boat load of tourists without visa
    Expenses saving assorted nationals from sinking boat - $1m. send cheque to Aus Govt Acc. CBA

I reckon that's fair

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The whole boat people beatup is as bad as the other rescue complaints and is a poor reflection on our countries media and politicians. Most boat people (70 - 97% depending on thier country of origin) are granted permanent residence in Australia after their claims are examined as genuine refugees. It's a far higher percentage than those who arrive by air who generally have a 20 to 30% acceptance rate on the same grounds.

http://www.aph.gov.au/binaries/library/pubs/bn/sp/asylumfacts.pdf

My personal perspective is that I would carry insurance to cover my own rescue should it be required and a suitable policy be available.

3. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

I don't want to mis-direct the thread but..news reporting beating up non event situ's is one of modern days biggest problems - everything has become an opportunity to sensationalize to sell news.
    The current blah blah over the Aussie radio station hoax call to UK hospital - and as a result a nurse tops herself so all the focus is the big bad DJ's.
    But what if the real reason was some hospital mgr gave the Indian nurse (soft target) a big time bollacking out for accepting the call - that we will never know. The DJ's are next in line soft targets - too easy

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Its the race organizers who should have suitable coverage for the rescue or damage caused by their competitors.

Issues like race boats colliding with fishing boats could cause loss of life onboard the fishing boat.

Its irresponsible to charge around the ocean seeking fame then claim exemption from the colateral damage because..we are famous and made of carbon.

All responsibility lies with the race organizers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.