Try to avoid being shipwrecked but especially in Fiji on a weekend.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Corley, Nov 25, 2012.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

They are almost always poorly prepared. A few years ago I towed a dismasted sailing boat three hundred miles to the coast. These guys didnt have hacksaw to clear the wrechage or a handheld vhf to communicate with.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Can you get 300 miles from the coast in the Med.

Have you tried to cut rigging with a hack saw?

Ille bet it was French.

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

- OK, guys, make a note, anyone inadvertantly rescuing Frosty please put him back!

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I thought I would post that again so every one understands.

5. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

I would chum the water...

6. BPL

BPL Senior Member

How does a boat indicate to all possible rescue services that it is not to be rescued, aided, or searched for?

7. watchkeeper

You can't but you can refrain from Pan Pan, May Day calls, EPIRB switched off or remove batteries, throw flares and rockets over the side and don't tell anyone when your leaving, going to or returning.

Your on your own unless someone sees you are in distress and comes along side to offer assistance then you would need to fly a tango or delta flag or dangerous cargo/fire stand clear pennant like the immigration ships in past era flying plague or cholera flag.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sail in the south china sea or the gulf of Siam or any Malaysian and Thai waters . Off the coast of S Africa Sudan way PNG, Indonesia.

And or be too far out for anyone to be bothered.

An EPIRB will alert the aircraft that will report its position. Then its up to them If your USA registered they will not be phoning your house or relatives.

Its likely to take 1 day at least . If your in need of quick attention then you should have prepared better,---but if you just tinker outside Torremolinos or Benalmadena or California you might gain some benefit but then you would'nt need the EPIRB then anyway, a telephone would work.

To survive you look after yourself don't rely on some other poor sod with wife and children to save your stupid arse because you paid insurance on your VHF or EPIRB

Its not room service.

9. watchkeeper

Ignore Frosty, he's talking just rubbish again.
    Many fishboats and yachties incl. French and Brit solos in Australasian waters even deep in southern ocean owe their lives to EPIRB beacons.

That's the whole point of EPIRB and why every vessel, commercial, govt service craft and recreational/competition yacht should have one and paid for - so if they do get into difficulties and send out a mayday search vessels and aircraft while locate the active beacon signal.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Try to read,-- I said South China sea you say Australian waters, you cant read.

Your so anxious to reply you don't even read it first.

Its not me that makes you look an idiot you are doing it on your own.

I take this friendly banter and following me round the forum posting after me is an invite to the cockpit for drinks with drunks?

I might just call in when Im passing seeing as though you cant get enough of me Ille give you plenty of me if you dont stop following me round the forum.

11. watchkeeper

Can't take a view that opposes yours can ya you old faker, you're so full of br'it.
    FYI:
    RAN Navy frigate responded to a distress call west of CoCos Is and located vessel in distress by EPIRB beacon.
    A 50m crew boat answered a distress call and rescued yacht crew in South China Sea of Viet Nam enroute from Hanian Is located by EPIRB beacon.

I'll post where ever I like and if I don't agree with you view I'll say so too in fact it's a project now.

Don't might call in, man up and if you want to look me up, I'm in DDA Dalian, northern China, let me know when your coming and I'll send my mobile no. and meet you any place you name.

If you intend dropping by soon you had better man up to temps as well being that where in minus double digits, but I don't think you could handle it living in girlie country.

FYI: I may have to be in Sgp soon to review/quote a refit for a yacht, I'll look you up if you're game.

12. watchkeeper

Frosty: Henry V111 was king by false claim to the English throne, a belligerent, overbearing bully with an uncontrolled appetite for power and wealth.
    Henry thought nothing of taking others properties, over ruling his advisers and refused to listen to good counsel hence the sinking of Mary Rose as just one of his many examples of poor judgement.

Yours is a fitting avatar I think judging by your posts

13. BPL

BPL Senior Member

You two could send eachother mugs for the holiday :D
    [​IMG]

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thanks Im going to take that as a compliment. I wish we still had him and we would not be over run by immigrants.

15. watchkeeper

Frosty's Capt mug

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.