Small Cat with hydrofoil

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by LHull, Oct 26, 2005.

1. LHull

LHull New Member

Hi,
    Need advice/inputs on buying an 18 ft power catamaran with hydrofoil?
    Design is similar to HYSUCAT. Anyone have an idea how much this helps or hurts a small boat? I would if all the benefits were real , why wouldn't more racing boats have foils?
    Thanks

2. gasdok007

gasdok007 Junior Member

What is the purpose of the 18 footer? The hysucat foil is an adaptation that allows for much greater speed and fuel economy on a cat designed for large offshore waves. If you merely need speed on small inshore waters it can be more easily accomplished in a conventional hull.

3. LHull

LHull New Member

Foil Option

Thanks for the reply. Foil is an option on the boat and we we would like to improve gas mileage, best cruise speed and range. Don't care about running wide open or top speed. In Texas, running 30 to 40 miles offshore to fish is the norm. I am trying to get the smallest boat that would be safe for running this distance offshore. I sold 22 ft Twin Vee and I am looking at a 18.5 ft. Cat with a foil.

Thanks

4. Deering

Deering Senior Member

I'm familiar with a few foil-assist cats running around inside waters here in AK. They seem to be up to their billing - better ride and increased efficiency at speeds over 25 kts. These are for boats in the 40'+ range - not sure if you'll see the same benefits in your size boat. I'd also be concerned about hitting objects - could have some negative effects when that foil got ripped off the hulls.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Notice the small foil in the front.

http://*****************/BugattiYachts/Advanced_Hulls.htm
    http://*****************/images/100ft_BUGATTI_YACHTS_Illuminations.jpg

Click on the provided link, lots of innovative stuff on that site.

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I've just looked into the HYSUCAT, it does make a lot of sense to locate the foils between the sponsons.

I did not know about this system until now.:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.