truck engine/trany needs thrust bearing

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by welding rod, Oct 26, 2005.

1. welding rod

welding rod New Member

I have a 47 ft motorsailer. I have a ford f-250 with 6.9 l diesel and manual tran. I plan to put engine and trans in boat. Engine rated 175hp@3800rpm. I will use about 80 hp@2200rpm. Keel cooling, dry exhaust, heavy duty marine alternator. standard shaft/prop installation. Reason, old mercedes engine, ie expensive hard to get parts.$500 water pump! $40 for ford. PYI has thrust bearings,to expensive. Bearing suppliers have dual acting thrust bearings,just like PYI uses $2-300. I need good ideas on simple ways to mount bearing between flange on end of prop shaft and transmission.
    I understand a marine engine/tran is a better solution. This way will cost about $1500. I have all materials on hand except bearing and shaft. Boat is steel so mounting bearing securely is not a problem.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The folks that sell a system for using 2 MB front wheel drives (fancier than 2 universals) sell the thrust beaings in a variety of shaft sizes.

Unfortunatly I cant remember the Co name , although I have their product installed with great (nice& Quiet!) results.

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.