troubleshoot a transducer?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by captndon, Oct 27, 2013.

1. captndon

captndon Junior Member

I'm using a 7 year old Navman Trackfish 6600. It's a multifunction gps chartplotter , sounder and includes a fuel monitoring system. The sounder even when new has been a bit erratic in function but otherwise I like the unit. Sometimes the sounder worked great and sometimes shows no reading at all. It currently shows no reading. I'm planning my haulout and was assuming that I'd buy a new transducer. The original is a dual frequency thru-hull. My second thought is to check in with you folks and get your input.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Borrow a transducer from the dealer , hang it over the side in a suitable operational region and see if it performs better.

Many times its difficult to identify if a problem is with the transducer or downstream in the electronics.

3. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

How, and where is the transducer installed? Anything else installed/projecting into fluid flow near the td?

4. captndon

captndon Junior Member

As stated, it is mounted through the hull - carvel plank with a fairing block, about midships, port side. This is a displacement hull without a lot of splash "noise".

I doubt that I can borrow a transducer here but I might get a result from putting the head unit in a shop for eval. OTOH, it's likely they will simply say the unit is bad in order to try to sell new. It's that kind of sales culture here. All marine electronics are priced double what they are in the western market so I usually buy online and pay shipping and import duty and save 40% off of local price.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

You should be able to source a transducer. They are very common.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.