Board Measurements

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SeaBird, Oct 19, 2003.

1. SeaBird

SeaBird Junior Member

Hi everyone,

As I've mentioned in a previous thread, I am doing a design project at school on daggerboards.

I've modeled a daggerboard on a finite element software and would like to subject it to velocity ranges that would match that of an actual sailboat in different wind conditions and points of sail. I'm especially interested in boat speed before and after planning conditions.

I would also like to model an actual existing board.

I don't have any dimensions or any data for boat speed for any class of boat. Could anyone help me out?

I'm interested in I-14's so if anyone is willing to share their "secrets", I might even be able to optimize the shape of your board...

I'm pretty familiar with the Laser 2, but I'm open to work with any class of boat for which I can get all the information I need (as long as it's a dinghy that can plane).

I need:
    -board dimensions
    -various boat speed for different points of sail and wind conditions
    -planning boat speed
    -approximate angle of attack of water (drift angle) if possible

Thanks all,

SeaBird

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.