Wood trim on a metal boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Netdewt, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Netdewt

Netdewt New Member

I'm looking at doing something very simple: buying a simple aluminum boat and making it prettier. I've never done boats but I like working with tools, etc.

My main question is, can wood trim be added to a metal boat without major overhaul? As long as I'm at it, any other suggestions for a project like this?

Here's my inspiration, I guess you could say. Found it for sale and thought it might be something fun to do myself (just a little 12 or 14 foot fishing boat):

[​IMG]

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

No problem using wood on a metal boat. All you have to do is epoxy-seal the back of each piece and bed them in a marine bedding compound.

Alan

3. Netdewt

Netdewt New Member

Any books or guides online that night describe more about how to do this?

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I can't think of any books. The process of attaching wood to steel is the same as with fiberglass, except sometimes the wood is adhered to fiberglass less flexibly, as would be with gunwales on a fiberglass canoe.
    Use common sense. A rivet or two to attach a plywood pad (well sealed in epoxy), and a seat riser can be installed with screws into the pad.
    Use a flexible sealant to bed pads and parts. Keep bare wood away from metal. Epoxy everything that contacts metal. Flexibly bed everything. There is very little else to know that wouldn't apply to any normal joinery.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.