What happened with this Dick Newick design?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bergwerk, Aug 9, 2016.

1. bergwerk

bergwerk Junior Member

This Newick design has me intrigued:

http://m.seacoastonline.com/article/20030820/NEWS/308209978

Has anybody here come across this design or the boat itself? The article calls it an outboard powered trimaran but no details are given. It should be quite fuel efficient and knowing Newick's body of work also seaworthy as the article's headline indicates.

The Newick website gives no hint of a presently active office and I couldnt find any contact information on people that may have access to his designs or are continuing his work.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Newick is dead, his wife apparently is still selling his designs.

3. bergwerk

bergwerk Junior Member

Thanks, of course I knew of his passing but I didn't know about his wife selling the designs. Any idea how to contact her? Google nix.

And how about this design? The US Navy has copied it in its unmanned sub chaser, a very cool craft.

4. sprit

sprit Junior Member

5. matt thecat

matt thecat New Member

The owner appears to still be in practice as described in the article. Perhaps he could be contacted and offer Mrs. Newick to sell copies of the plans? Perhaps he can provide information for the design's performance?
    I just signed up to this terrific site.
    Thanks.

DogCavalry likes this.
  6. scott diego

scott diego Junior Member

My boat is a newick 42’ powerboat. Very efficient and lightweight. It isn’t a trimaran but has a similar shape to that trimaran design. I made a post here about it (under my sign in if you want to search for it).

7. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.