hull reconstruction

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by arfid, Jul 15, 2003.

1. arfid

arfid New Member

I am not an experienced boat builder, however I have an 18', 1989, center console fiberglass fishing boat I am working over. I found rotten wood on the deck and in the stringers. I like the boat and plan on keeping it for a while so I want to do a good job reparing it. I was planning on replacing all of the stringers and deck. The boat does not have a composite floor (balsa or poly). The boat bottom is flat. Should I go this route? Also, has anyone tried to make a composite hull using the product Gator foam or Gator board.

Thanks

2. tgundberg

tgundberg Junior Member

Gator Foam

I would guard against using Gator Foam (low density urethane, I believe), as it is mainly used for non-structural applications such as signs and display pieces. Urethane foam, espically low density (< 15 lb) is very friable and your bondlines will deteriorate rapidly. Strictly go with a structural core material such as end grain balsa, or any structural plastic foams especially in the hull.

3. c.holder

c.holder Guest

hull repair

I'm replacing the floor in a 18.5 jet boat. The area under the floor has a single stringer, but where it goes into the engine bay, there is a hole(it had a plug in it, cheesy) is this hole supposed to be there, and if so does it need a plug? also, do I fiberglass under the floor to keep it water tight, and why cant I use fiberglass as the bonder between the deck and hull? Thanks for your consideration. C holder

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.