Metacentric height is always 24/12, or so.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by apex1, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apex1

apex1 Guest

That was a fake statement.

But I wanted your attention without having the person meant, around here.

We are about 17.000 registered members here, and only one is a kid! Mike
    or mgriffin, or formerly confused, now 13 years old.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/building-small-boat-26691.html
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/inboards/need-engine-inboard-drive-diy-29173-3.html#post311159
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/fantail-steam-launches-26141.html
    and "building a boat at the age of 12"

have been the places he told us about his dreams and plans and phantasies. A young boys phantasies of course. Not mature, not very sensible...dreams....
    Being a bit stubborn he did not always follow our advise, did not make use too much of the hints given, and decided quite often to go the opposite direction. A child, acting childish. That is his right. Though we are not much amused, we have to understand that. Many of us, I guess, have not been different.
    He tried to find a suitable boatplan, but of course, was not able. How could he be? He does´nt know what suits him right. We sometimes hardly know.
    And if he found a cheap plan he tried to make so many changes that the result would have been a catastrophe.
    PAR, marshmat, CDK, rasorinc, so many others, did contribute to his threads, and I see he is doing a bit better in listening to advise. But still has no proper plan (and will not be able to afford one).

Now this boy is moving to Texas as he told us, there he will build a boat, there he will have the chance of using a boat. He is longing for that for long time now.

When you look here:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/inboards/need-engine-inboard-drive-diy-29173-3.html#post311159

..and try to read between the lines, you´ll notice that it is not unlikely that much will remain to be a dream.
    sad...
    _____________________________________​

In my village we have a tradition, every year at the 24th of December we celebrate Christmas. Then we make some presents to our children. A nice custom.

You have a idea why I did not want him to stumble into this thread???

_____________________________________​

Would´nt it be worth, to support the only kid we have around here, staying stable with us for almost one year now (what a long time at that age). He never asked for anything for free or getting a discount!

My (first and broad) suggestion:

You Designers, stick your heads together and bring out a set of plans like the little Tug we have seen in one post. Sure he cannot build that! But he cannot build a smaller boat either, so:

You Boatbuilders there in the south of USA, free up some space in your shop, put a tent in your garden, offer Mike to do the boat with your assistance! Hmm, yes I mean, he will assist you, in his holidays. Be sure he will!

You, Boatowners, Boatlovers, Bikers, Artists, Acrobats and all the other boat infected in the USA, lookup your shop for a engine, shaft, prop, you know....

You, the rest of us, we open our wallet and spend some pennies for the material.
    Just 200 of us with some 5€ each would make a lot of wood and resin. Or steel and sticks...

Who has a Paypal account in the US and is willing to collect the money?

Any suggestions?

Merry Christmas
    Richard
    excuse the misleading headline, but how else could I keep it hidden and catch your attention at the same time?

1 person likes this.
  2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Richard, I think this a wonderful idea.

Good for you. I hope it comes to fruition.

Being thousands of kilomteres north of Texas, I have little to offer other

than advice and encouragement.

Tom

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

well, sink boat driver, dive boat sinker, ähh.......ach was

maybe you know a simpler approach?

And of course you are not excluded from the last group mentioned:D

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I meant advice and encouragement to the young fellow!

I don't think you need any encouraging.

As far as the last group mentioned goes, it's hard to get water from a

stone... But, I admire your spirit!

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I think this is an excellent "bringing to the attention of others" thread.

This boy needs support and guidance..surely there must be someone on this forum close by who can help, guide and encourage him in the direction he wishes to go?

I have done this many times to "children" who lives near me when i was in UK, we even went to our local school and gave talks. So much so, their end of year project was, and still is, design a boat. (This was 8 year olds!)

Unknown to many, i have given guidance to others on this forum, privately, to assist in their education and career....because, that is what we are all here for...to guide and help those that require it, neh?

Lets hope someone lives near by or is able to drive 'down' and help out...

6. cor

cor Senior Member

Maybe we should try to connect him with the people over at Duckworks,

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/

There are a lot of people on that site building simple, cheap, boats. Some of them even seem to be from Texas. Maybe he could get connected with one of those PD Racer types, can't get much simpler and cheaper than that.

C.O.

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I'm ready to throw in some $.. A good idea Richard so let's spread the word..

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hoyte,
    lets first see if we can get a proper plan, then we will know the demand for the boat. But of course it would be nice to know already where to send the stuff needed!

cor,
    Mike knows about Duckworks and it does´nt solve the prob bringing him in contact, when he has no internet connection.

Teddy,
    you´re first on the list, thank you!

9. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Playing Devil's Advocate here:

1: the boy is a TAD Stubborn
    2: He wants an 8 ft or so INBOARD
    3: did I mention that he is Stubborn?
    4: Provided a suitable design was forthcoming, sufficient supplies acquired, and a place to build found with lots of help...
    Who's going to ante up when the (did I mention he is stubborn?) young man lands himself in the hospital or in the hands of those who come after and the parents would like to exact revenge/retribution/wrath from above on all those who so kindly landed their loving and sweet child in the temporary or permanent fix he is in. Do we even know if his parents are on board with this or...? So many questions...so little money for lawsuits.

1 person likes this.
  10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yes, what else could we expect from you.................................

Merry Christmas Steve Lewisboats!
    [​IMG]

Richard

11. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I for one hope this thing takes off. Count me in.

Apex: please remove that dreadful picture of snow: in the Northern hemisphere we don't want to know about that right now, and you are just confusing the Ozerines.

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Richard I think that picture is one of the few occasions when seeing snow is alright.

I offered him (Michael) a little harbor tug sort of thing in one of those threads. It would have been easy to build and not costly. So, I guess I'm in too.

I think we should do it in one of the gator filled lakes in his area. Unlike a great white that will spit you out, after a quick taste test, a gator likes the flavor of humans (taste like chicken) and usually will attempt to have a feast on an unfortunate water mishap. His young hide would be especially tender to a gator I would guess. In other words, who needs lawyers when the law of the lake can sort things out fairly quickly.

1 person likes this.
  13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, I'm new in these forums. But the idea pleases me.

I'm no designer, and I'm too far from Texas to lend a hand. But I'll pitch in a little geld, if the project gets off the ground.
    Damn the attorneys; full speed ahead. A fear of shysters is a piss-poor foundation to build a life on; I'll take a chance the kid will survive our generosity somehow.

1 person likes this.
  14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

He's young enough to out swim most of the gators too . . .

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks PAR, shall we wait unril the boat is done, or will you make the Gator test prior to building?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.