Boat no numbers

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by GetulaHunter, Apr 8, 2015.

1. GetulaHunter

GetulaHunter New Member

I bought a boat and trailer last week for a great deal. All I really wanted was the trailer but after further inspection the aluminum boat looks like it can be seaworthy. The problem is, the grandfather of the guy I bought it from, stripped down the boat to nothing years ago. The ID information was taken off, so he could paint the boat. Before grandpa could finish he passed away and most of his stuff was tossed. I have a bill of sale but that is it. It worked for the trailer because it had plates and ID. My question is,..... does anyone know how I can get a boat registered that has no ID and paperwork except for a bill of sale.

Thank you in advance.
    J.P.
    GetulaHunter

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

laws vary from state to state, usually there is a way to do it. you will have to check with your state, usually you can look it up on the state website.

If it looks like it was hand made, you can always tell them you made it yourself from salvaged materials. You might show shoe receipts and find (or make) a set of plans for it, might help in your story.

3. GetulaHunter

GetulaHunter New Member

Thank you very much for the fast reply.... Sorry about forgetting to put location I am in California.

Thank you.
    J.P.
    GetulaHunter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.