Trimaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Adz, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Adz

Adz Junior Member

Hello all im new to the site.

What im thinking about is building a model trimaran and possibly designing it myself.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what i should do?

Best regards

Adam

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

rc trimaran

You might check out the multiONE multihull topic on rcsailng.net.
    You should understand that rc multihulls are notoriously difficult to sail when the wind gets above about 6-7k. They can pitchpole in the blink of an eye. So you should plan on having a rescue boat from the very begining.There are three classes(none recognized in the USA): the multiONE which was conceived of as a small hydrofoil multi or one that could be sailed with a drastically reduced rig by beginers; the F48/mini 40 class which has some organized racing in Europe. Better suited to beginers though still very quick reacting. And the 2Meter Class which are very large rc multies.
    DO NOT(!) attempt to build a scale ORMA 60 model! The beam to length ratio's of these boats main hull and ama's are way too narrow for models.
    I have designed and built the first production rc foiler ,the F3 and am a strong advocate of the use foils on models to ,in some respects,"tame" these little boats. A properly designed hydrofoil system can allow even a beginner to sail in winds up to 20mph with almost no fear of capsize or pitchpole at speeds that are simply astounding. If you are an expert modeler you could consider building one of these from scratch.
    Small multies can be loads of fun as long as you approach them realistically: they are very fast but very bad tempered when sailing in any wind. But believe me, the speed is addictive and ,in most cases, worth the learning process.

3. Adz

Adz Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'am planning on building from scratch from my own design but did consider building a exact replica of either

Pierre 1er. Or kingfisher

I do like the orma class. I have no lengh width or height restriction's

And was thinking of a large scale Model.

Thanks again

adz

4. Adz

Adz Junior Member

But i would like to build a full size transocean version at somepoint in the future

Possible dimension's Length 18.28 m
    beam 17.00 m
    Draft 4.00 m
    Loaded displacement 6.2
    Light displacement 5.8

the above figure's are from Van peteghem/Lauriot prevost site.
    Please note that the figure's are a rough guide and in no way am i copying there design..

Does anyone have links that i could browse and get some information/Drawing's etc?

thanks
    adam

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

rc tri

Adam, to build a test model of a bigger boat go as large as you can; check out what the scaled down displacement will be and determine if you can build a model that light. Something in the vicinity of 2 meters would probably work. Because of scale effect the model won't have anywhere near a proportional RM; in other words if you use a scale sail plan the boat will be overpowered early. But you can figure all that based on what the scale displacement of the boat will be- thats where to start.

6. Adz

Adz Junior Member

Does anyone else have any information or links???

Thanks

Adam

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.