High Latitude Boats

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by timgoz, Oct 27, 2006.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hello Everyone,

I would like others opinions on what constitutes a proper boat for use in high latitude regions. LOA of 25-35 feet, power & sail/auxillary, metal, wood, or FRP.

Hull type, systems, propulsion, insulation, ground tackle, and any other pertinent criteria sought.

My own time up North is limited to 4 seasons (late Spring- early Fall). But this time, along with years of reading, has led me to form opinions on alot of the particulars my ideal boat would incorperate.

It is always good to hear of others thoughts, these many times bringing to mind things never encountered or even contemplated.

Take care.

TGoz

2. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

I just love a wooden boat, anytime anywhere even at 65 north.
    A wooden boat should be able to dry out after you lift it up, before it freezes, the water in the wood cell expands when it freezes, I don’t mean indoor dry just 3-4 weeks under a roof or tarp outdoors. Mahogany is notorious for damage if it freezes straight out of the water, I recon you knew this but just in case you didn’t.

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Richard,

Actually I did not know that about mahoghany. My limited experience is with steel & Thick glass hulls.

Do you use Greenheart or another suitable wood at the stem/bow for dealing with the occasional loose pack?

How do you re-swell a traditional wooden hull before launching in the Spring?

Are you operating a power vessel or sail-auxillary? If power, dry or wet exhaust?

I would love to see Scandinavia by water, the Norwegian coast in particular. Where are you at up there?

An acquaintence of mine ( John Bockstoce in the Belvedere) was up to Spitzbergen several years ago. He has alot more boat than I could ever dream of owning.

Take care.

TGoz

4. Richard Hillsid

In the spring row boats are just put in the water and let swell if needed, the older they get they more time they need.

Im very lucky I have never had a wooden boat over 28’ sail and 33’ power. I and most others just stick them in with a fresh battery and a bilge pump, shore power works good, if the rivets or nails are tight and no cracked planks its no big deal, just don’t wait too long into the summer to launch as the spring is usually a time of low humidity.

The choice of engine I think is very personal or what you get when you buy, I have always had whet exhaust or outboard but nothing wrong with a air-cooled diesel.

Finland http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showpost.php?p=109266&postcount=12 (not my boat in the images)

GRP, Steel or Aluminium are good too.

Bdw what kind of boat are you looking for, what will you be using it for?

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I am torn between to very different options. Both preferably of steel.

One would be a 24-28ft sail with diesel auxillary. A Tom Thumb or Spray.

The other is an approx. 30ft displacement or semi-displacement power vessel. Also a Robert's plan, a Coastworker. I have plans for both.

My heart lies with the sail, but practicality favours power. My intended area of operation is SE Alaska. Winds during much of the year are very light. Tidal currents can be quite strong.

Some day I would like to revisit the Northern Labrador coast.

Sail would get me to either region, but would not be as suitable as power once there.

TGoz

6. Richard Hillsid

LOL I got plans for all 3 too, never built one of them except for a model of the Tom Thumb. If I remember right Tom Thump is not Roberts design, it’s just in his catalogue.
    But I hear the pain as you being pulled apart, they all good descent boats, with 3 different purposes and budgets.
    Have built one of Roberts designs way back, it was a 32’ pig belied GRP sail boat, slow with no heavy weather capabilities, but kept us safe in a storm where few other boats were not so lucky, mainly because it was built extra strong, shrouds etc. and nothing broke, but it was my choice at the time.

1 person likes this.
  7. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Richard,

Yes, Tom Thumb is a Graham Shannon (sp?) design. Roberts did 26 & 28 footer T. Thumbs based on the original TT 24.

I love most boats power & sail (preferring traditional) so the power option would not break my heart. With sail I would still be motoring most of the time, so power is where I am leaning.

Plus, though I dream, I doubt if anything approaching a circumnavigation is in the works for my future. Power would agree more with my hard-worked middle aged back also.

TGoz

8. boat boy

boat boy New Member

Hi Tgoz and Rhill you said you have plans for a coastworker do you still have them and would consider selling them if you do not plan to use them your self

1 person likes this.

9. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Boat Boy,

I would consider selling them as my needs have changed. One important point you need to be aware of is that only the original buyer can get free advice from the designer. I may be wrong on the above, but I do not think I am.

If you are interested I'll figure out what I want for them.

You can PM me if you desire or email at tvmdcaw@juno.com.

Take care.

Tim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.