Jim Brown Searunner 37-40 foot?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by DennisRB, Jun 15, 2010.

1. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

They are among the best cruising tri's designed. Check for rot where any hardware penetrates the membrane being especially careful of the stem head fitting. I have yet to meet a unhappy owner (unless they were rebuilding). There are good examples around that can offer a lot of boat for the money. Check out the Cross and Horstman boats too. John Marples still sells the plans along with those for his constant camber updates for the concept. All the Searunner models sail great and have a good turn of speed if not overloaded. The centerboard will get you off a lee shore in a blow.

3. garydierking

garydierking Senior Member

I put 20,000 miles on my 37 around the Pacific and found it to be very seaworthy and easy to sail. The only improvements that could be made are in the materials and their durability in the tropics.[​IMG]

4. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Thanks guys. What do you mean by durability in the tropics? Do you mean that the ply is susceptible to rot in hot humid conditions? How do you prevent this?

Other than the stem where else are some areas that might be effected? Can a well looked after version of these last a long time? The 2 I looked at are 20 and 30 years old.

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

A good boat can last a long time if cared for, the key to any wood boat's longevity is ventilation. A problem spot on Searunners can be the centerboard trunk area if air hasn't been circulating. Epoxy coating the inside is a great way of preserving the wood which is why boats built with epoxy and coated sell for more money. Every boat needs to be evaluated on its own merits regardless of the design. What were the materials used etc....All marine ply is a definite plus. I wouldn't reject any boat on age but would look at the use it has had and the condition it is in. A boat that has been sailing the coast on vacations will be less fatigued than a boat that has been around the world 5 times etc....The wet hatches on the wing decks are another trouble spot but are easily repaired. There are plenty of these boats in good condition all over the world so look around, you might find one already in a area you were thinking about cruising to!

6. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Thanks the 40 footer we looked at has been expoxied inside and out. I dont think I would buy any ply boat that hasn't been.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.