Proposed design changes to a Hartley Vixen

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by tda0307, Dec 17, 2008.

1. tda0307

tda0307 New Member

I have been building a 15ft Hartley Vixen power boat for a couple of years now and have recently turned it over. I'm now going through the layout designs for it and in an effort to maximise usable space, I have the following queries and I hope there is someone out there who maybe able to comment on the changes from the original design. I have included a couple of images in an attempt to explain the proposed changes a little better.

1. The first proposed change is with the outboard well. The original plan shows quite a wide well area that extends from the transom to the last frame. This width is approximately 70cm and does not appear to be required by the motor and if reduced, would increase the usable space within the boat. As illustrated on page one of the attached PDF, I am planning to reduce the width of the outboard well to approximately 40cm by placing an extra frame between the last frame and the transom and by extending the floor back to this additional frame. Does anyone see any issue with this?Alternatively, could the outboard well be reduced further (to approximately 20cm if an outboard pod similar to the one shown in the image were used?

2. The second change is associated with a different design of the half cabin. I am considering a longer, more open cabin area. This option does not have a windscreen at the front but rather windows on each side and a hatch that will allow access to the front of the boat. The change will require a frame to be included approximately where the windscreen in the original plan started but would also involve the removal of some of the deck area (including the removal of No. 2 deck frame and cutting of the king plank and deck bearers back to No. 1 deck beam frame). Does anyone think that this would cause any issues that could not be overcome?

Attached Files:

2. dlatimer

dlatimer New Member

Hi have just stared building the flareline 16 I also am interested in down sizeing the well . Also on my set of plans it has meserments to add length as well It looks to me like one could also make two number 5 frames and slide number 6 closer to stern .

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Outboard well dimensions are sized to the engine you'll be installing. Most plans use the maximum width and depth of the biggest engine recommendation, so you have enough room for everything to swing. If installing less then the maximum HP outboard, you might be able to down size your well. What size outboard?

4. dlatimer

dlatimer New Member

Thanks for the information I will be using the max hp a 100 HP So I will leve it the way it is on the plans I will probally mke the boat a 17 ft instead of 15ft 6in The plans has the meserments for both

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.