Refurb my side panels

Discussion in 'Materials' started by tommyboy050, Mar 12, 2011.

1. tommyboy050

tommyboy050 Junior Member

I have a 1988 Bayliner Cuddy 1902 (19ft). I need to refurbish the side inside side panels that run from the front of the boat to the rear and the rear seat back rests. The seats themselves are in pretty good shape. The colors are blue and white which I assume are Bayliner colors. I have a couple of questions that maybe you can help me with. The boat is in storage right now and I would like to get the parts before I get the boat so I can get this done before I put it in the water.

1. About how many yards do you think I will need? ?? yds? Or, where can I find/go to figure this out?

2. I found a product, marine/boat vinyl fabric, on ebay list as "1000 YARDS MARINE/BOAT VINYL FABRIC/$9 PER YD". The listing is from jcupholstery who has a store named "JC upholstery fabrics" on ebay. I am asking your opinion on this product.

3. Any alternatives?

2. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

> 3. Any alternatives?
    Try Naugahyde - http://www.naugahyde.com/
    Defender and West Marine used to stock this retail by the yard in a dozen colors.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Measure the length of your side bolsters and divide the total by 3. This will be how many yards you need.

Stop down at the local Joann Fabrics store and look at the two different grades of marine vinyl they carry.

One is Nautolex and a vinyl coated polyester fabric. The other the more traditional vinyl with a poly scrim on the back.

4. tommyboy050

Can't measure sides right now, boat is in storage shrink wrapped, was looking for a rough estimate of how much I need. Joanne is having a 50% off sale so I want to get it by the end of the week before sale ends.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You're kidding right? 10 to 12 yards will do the sides, but this is a huge guess. You can get a much better estimate then I by taking a tape measure to the sides of the boat, shrink wrap or not. You'll need blue, white, probably some foam, piping, etc.

The best thing you could do is get inside your boat (that's what duct tape is for) and do a quick measuring job. Order more then you need while it's on sale and maybe if you're industrious enough pull the side panels out of the boat, to give you something to do while you wait on the warmth to return.

6. tommyboy050

Thanks for the info. The fabric I found at Joann is 54" wide x (how many yards you need long). I will go measure the outside of the boat and will go from there I guess.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.