Parliers Hydraplaneur and other Planing Cats

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thanks for the video Doug. Hydraplaneur was certainly an interesting concept.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

planing cats

============
    You know it set a short lived 24hr record? What I find so interesting is that Hydroptere.ch is using stepped planing hulls with variable geometry so the step can be retracted. At one time I read that Parlier was devising a variable geometry system for his boat but, as far as I know, he never made the mods.
    They found that ,as designed, the boat had more drag than a "normal" cat up to 20 knots boat speed but after that drag dropped to less than 20% of "normal".

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It was certainly a fast boat under the right conditions. Variable geometry seems to be the path forward for a planing cat to attempt to negate the low windspeed drag penalty of the planing hull.

6. hump101

hump101 Senior Member

Hydraplaneur now for sale: Link

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

================
    Good info-thanks.

8. Cataphract

Cataphract Mechanical Engineer

Very cool yacht.

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I feel the advertisement for the boat is trying to rewrite history as the 24hr record that Hydraplaneur set as Doug mentioned was lifted the very same year by Brossard the ORMA60 trimaran. To say that Yves Parlier's Hydraplaner/ Mediatis was the fastest boat over the ORMA60's is a real stretch it was a fast boat under certain conditions yes but good average speed under a variety of conditions is required to win races. Did Hydraplaneur win any major races? I'm just curious to know as I cant seem to find any record of it coming in first ever maybe one of the shorter races where it had suitable conditions? It looks like they hold the record for the 14th May 2006 : Record of the Tour round Gran Canaria in 12 hours and 46 minutes. Has there been any attempt to better this record and what was their competition?

2006 "Mediatis-Region Aquitane" 60ft Cat, Yves Parlier FRA and 5 crew 597.81nm. 24.91 kts
    2006 "Brossard" 60 ft Tri, Yvan Bourgnon SUI, 610.45 nm. 25.76 kts (singlehanded)
    2007 "Banque Populaire" 60ft Tri, Pascal Bidegorry, FRA, 667nm, 27.8kts (crewed)

Website on Parlier an interesting sailor and innovator. He is on the crew of Hydroptere for the LA to Honolulu record attempt.

http://www.parlier.org/beyond_the_sea/eng/homme.php

10. hump101

hump101 Senior Member

Agreed, but it isn't the first advert in the world to portray the facts in a biased manner! Caveat Emptor!

Seriously, though, it would make a great base for a foiler, and will be a bargain for someone.

11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Charged Particle

My thoughts are that it would could be an excellent speed record machine. Lighten ship by throwing off all the offshore stuff, and clean up the he aero drag and sail when it's blowing holy hell. If the sails were replaced by two wings you would really have something. Hydroptere showed that there is an advantage to scale when pursuing the outright speed record in that "smooth water " for a 60 foot vessel is a lot rougher than "smooth water" for a Sail Rocket or kite board. So you have more flexibility.
    Stepped hulls are well understood, and the potential to go more than 50 knots is probably within that platform's capacity without the complication of foils...
    What matters is the condition of the platform, how heavy it really is and ultimately what you can buy it for. On the face of it, it seems pretty expensive.... but if someone was daring, it could be an interesting project.
    SHC

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.