Tri with staggered beams ama slide in system...

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Angélique, Jun 1, 2015.

1. jamez

jamez Senior Member

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Jamez, the boat is now named Kaleva. I think she was built with one piece beams as they had to cut the beams off to stow her on a flatbed container...

The journey of Kaleva
    Here some info on flat-rack container yacht shipping . . .
    Here's another Run Riot story, but a quick scan through it gave me no info about the beams.

The boat is also in a the Multihull Forums topic, but the below quote is all I could get out of it as I'm not a member of that forum and so not authorised to read the page...
    Below some pictures of Kaleva with her new beams, added quarter berths, new doghouse and widened cockpit . . .

Visitors Today
    We've started up an all girls team for Kaleva.
    Kaleva at the VCYC sailing weekend.

3. Angélique

Just saw the Run Riot posts can be fully seen at the bottom of this cache page . . .

(the cache link might expire, so here's a quote)

4. Angélique

Ian Farrier tells here how this will work* for his folding system on a Tramp. It seems to be a deliberately capsize in calm water just for the experiment. Maybe in reality you have to wait with the righting, while hiding inside sitting on something in the water on the roof ceiling, till circumstances pipe down a bit. Also I don't know how this will work on a big Tri . . ? ?

* see also the links at the bottom of the article

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  5. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Thanks Angelique,
    I lost track of the Multihull.com when it went offline a few years back. I used to post there a lot (for me anyway).

Re the KHSD 38; I like the new beams better. In his catalogue Kurt shows two versions of the 38 flared hull design with pics - didn't realise they were the same boat :). I think its a great design, if I needed a boat that big it would make my short list.

6. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

The Hughes boats have a mono slip option because it is a hard slog getting those boats on a trailer with the floats demounted, let alone trailering them. But then the boats are huge in the water. I have the plans for the 23 with mono slip and I was surprised how practical it looked for what it does. I put it that way because while Kurt's details always come out practical in my experience. I did build my demountable unit tight enough that the idea of parts slipping together was somewhat foreign to me. But while I forget how it works, there is lots of clearance built in. The system has been around for 20 or 30 years, so I imagine it is well worked out. The new plans for the 23 are so upgraded I was tempted to start over again on a sister ship program, not that there was anything wrong with the earlier boat. Certainly was interesting to see the new details.

7. nacrajon

nacrajon Junior Member

I have been researching sliding beams for a while now as I am trying to decide to do either:
    1. fit sliding beams to my Magnum 21 with Hobie Tiger floats and mast (as per Winnie 2)
    2. Buy a Corsair 600 pulse
    3. Buy a F242

I'm still trying to make up my mind.

Anyway the French are leaders in this thing (sliding beams) have a look at this for a comparison of trimaran folding systems (possibly the best on the topic), Google Chrome will auto translate.

http://www.nauticaltrek.com/12616-les-systemes-de-repliage-de-trimarans

Also have a look at this for various design options for a small tri:

http://www.nauticaltrek.com/12559-trek-ultra-trimaran

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.