Tri-ing? Yes very!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Dodgey_rog, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Dodgey_rog

Dodgey_rog Junior Member

G'day Frosh.
    Thanks for your speedy reply.
    About the cross-beams, I'm still a long way off the build so my mind is open to all suggestions. [be kind]!
    Actually I'm a tiny bit confused -[slightly more than I normally am]! Cos me dear ol' boat has been described by some as a bit of a motley mongrel, and so here am I trying to get some nice sweeping curves happening with composite beams- not lying down ally masts! NO OFFENCE.
    I might take your advice about contacting Rob Denny? Denning?

As for the mini keel idea- it was just something that cropped up as a result of thinking- bugger that centre board's going to be in the way.
    A way round that could be to offset the centre board [a la Ray Kendrick] and locate it inside the settee [ just to the left of the potted palm in the lower state lounge]! Sorry there I go again- just cain't help it- I'm ok if I keep to my medication.gulp.
    Cheers for now.
    Dodgey Rog. C.e.o. Bodgeit & Leggit Conglomerate.

2. Dodgey_rog

Dodgey_rog Junior Member

Hi Jeff.
    Thanks for your input t'other day. [A while ago now] Been busy doing other stuff. Can't post photo for fear of self incrimination!

YESSS I would be interested in looking at the carbon/cedar mast.

I understand what you mean about going arse up abord some rickety home built contraption, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Hey man I stood out under the heavens early this morning and saw man's great endeavor & space station float quietly by all those Kms up in space. Gave me a big attack of goose bumps. Kinda puts our feeble strivings in perspective.

As for the Diamond, I should probably go public and get a listing on the stock market. It could turn into another arm of my Bodgeit & Leggit empire!!!

But there I go again.

I quiver with anticipation.

Regards Dodgey Rog.

3. SeaPhantom

SeaPhantom Junior Member

Epoxy over Vinylester Good

Epoxy over vinyl good. Grind well first as always, don't be lazy. Vinylester over epoxy, properly prepped could be gotten away with, but only for cosmetic bonds, never trust for structural work. And always wash epoxy blush w/ soap and water, dry, then grind before any secondary bonds..

4. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Rog. get real!

I think you might be on the wrong forum. If it is creative writing you like maybe you should look elsewhere, although I must tell you, you are not too good in that department. I bit of humour is fine, but I can't take you seriously so I have given you what advice I can already. :mad:

5. Dodgey_rog

Dodgey_rog Junior Member

Gosh Frosh.
    I know wot I said about ally beams wasn't Posh, but did you have to belt me with the verbal Cosh?!
    Regards Dodgey rog.

6. Dodgey_rog

Dodgey_rog Junior Member

Hi SeaPhantom.
    Thanks for your advice.
    I've been advised to stick to the facts, but I gotta tell ya, I'm bordering on the hyperactive side. So if you stick a sanding pad or a grinder in my hand the dust will fly!!
    I'll only need to put epoxy over vinylester.
    Regards
    Dodgey rog.

7. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

cedar mast

dodgie, pm your mail address & Ill post you a piece.Jeff.

8. Dodgey_rog

Dodgey_rog Junior Member

Hi Folks.
    Has anyone had anything to do with cylinder molding?
    Came across article by Kurt Hughes- He makes it sound very cheap 'n easy.
    I'd like to consider it as a method for building my tri floats.
    Is it as good as it sounds?
    Any comments?
    Cheers.

Dodgey Rog.[B&L Enterprises].

9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Wild Wild West!

Dodgey, posted your sample yesterday. Get the cylinder molding video if still available, I borrowed it about 10 years ago- awsome, real cowboy "mix it & go for it" boat building-might suit you seein' as ya' from the wild west.Very honest presentation & commentory plus some handy tips.I havn't used used his technique as demonstrated but have heard of some difficulties in achieving "identical" rocker lines from hull to hull- maybe due to differing process. Someone in WA built a cat to his design, about 28' I think. Regards from Jeff.

10. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Denney claimed you can build a carbon stick cheaper than buying an alloy mast. Seems carbon has become expensive lately though. Good luck with the spaze ship.

11. Dodgey_rog

Dodgey_rog Junior Member

Hey Jeff. Thanks alot for the sample that arrived t'other day. What happened to the other 49.9 feet?!! It don't look like too hard a task to reproduce something like that.- Maybe using laminated ply cylinder mold style.
    I've ordered the Kurt Hughes CD+DVD which I'm kinda hanging out for[ in a non suggestive manner, if you get my drift]!
    You're spot on with the cowboy hobservation. This lad knows no fear!
    As for identical rocker lines - with the hulls being 26 odd feet apart I reckon one could get away with a few minor deviations!
    Thanks again for your help- god knows I need it!
    Kindest regards & man hugs.
    Dodgey [Managing Directum- B&L Intergalactic Interstellar Corporation].

12. dem45133

dem45133 Junior Member

Interesting thread.

I too am one of the “overbuild - do it yourself” kind of guy... and yes I trust my creations (non watercraft BTW) too... and I’m considering homebuilding a tri or outrigger vessel... but one man had a real good point earlier.

If I (we) kill ourselves and we are alone... its one thing...(likely through hypothermia out next a a broken boat... which is really what kills most mariners... they drown as a result of that and exhaustion usually...) BUT, to our wife and family or friends... we do not have that right. We absolutely have to do our homework.

In my homebuilt/modification project I do plan on finding the formulas and calculating various stresses... AND since I do not do that everyday anymore (and never did for marine applications) I WILL have an engineer double check it. Yea, I'll pay him a few dollars... but I consider that really cheap insurance.

I'd suggest you do this early in the project...as rebuilding something you thought was good but really wasn't enough in a worse case scenario will really be irritating... true, but even worse is the fact that your then tempted to say the H with it, and then not do it... telling yourself "it'll be ok as it is... it took me 30 hours to build that... I’m not tearing it out!". Yep, been there, and after several words Plato and Shakespeare would not likely recognize... I had to tear it out and start over.

I’ve been a member of EAA for many years and it’s a process repeated over and over with homebuilt aircraft. Same scenario with big water water craft… structural failure is NOT AN OPTION.

I plan to cruise the shores of Great Lakes here in the US... Those lakes have swallowed up mariners since the 1700s and I imagine a few Indians before that. I’m sure Australia has similar zones.

Anyone know where a good set of formulae are for hulls and stress points… I’m new to this subject and haven’t spotted them yet.

Good luck on your project.

Dave
    Hillsboro, Ohio, USA

13. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Dem, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments re- safety and getting a home project open water craft completely checked out by a suitably qualified engineer.
    There is an interesting thread happening at the moment on the topic of home building a tri for minimum cost. Have a look at this:
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13076

14. hansp77

hansp77

Frosh ya goose:D
    haven't had your coffee yet? (I haven't)
    dem45133 is the one that started that thread you just reffered him too:D :D
    Hehe.

15. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Thanks for the reality check Hans. I am flat out out at work and am reading and posting between clients. I an going to have to switch to long expressos now. Do you know a good brand? :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.