1960 Hi Liner construction

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by eide, Apr 23, 2011.

1. eide

eide New Member

Hello everyone,

A friend is asking me to restore his 1960ish all wood Hi Liner. So, I am looking for an overview of the construction of such a boat.
    Bottom construction
    Keel details
    Frame details
    Deck details
    Original fabric details

Also, any inherent flaws in the design or construction that one should be aware of? Most mahogany runabout types need a new bottom, almost without looking at them, can I assume the same about this

Of coarse, the boat has been sitting on a trailer, although in a dry garage, in Upstate NY for the last 20 years. It was in great condition before it was stored (so the story goes). I know so little about this boat, have only seen a few pictures, and only pictures of similar boats, not this one.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The best thing you can do is hire a professional to check the condition of the boat. If you have to ask these types of questions about a prospective project, then you're in way over your head.

If this is an indication of your experience then I'll repeat, you're in way over your head and your friend would be best advised to look else where for repairs/restoration.

[​IMG]

Without a clue as to the year and model, then your assumptions may make the classic definition true. This Hi Liner isn't a mahogany runabout, though likely similar to what you have coming. It's a Coast Clipper model and about 19' on deck.

3. eide

eide New Member

@PAR, thank you for your frankness.

Like I said, I don't know anything about THIS boat. What I didn't say was that I do know about boats, I live in Minnesota, I can't see this boat until it makes its trek over here. I am going to hire a local (to the boat's locale) boatbuilder to do a restoration survey.

As for a mahogany runabout (Chris Craft type) that is 40+ years old and unused for the last 15 years... I think it would be a safe guess to assume there is something wrong with the bottom. In this case, I don't known the construction of this boat, so I am wondering if I can assume the same in this case.

So, if anyone has any information regarding my questions, I would be grateful.

4. jimbowes

jimbowes New Member

Hi,

The Hiliner's were built in Ipswich MA in the lates 50's into the early 60's. My wife's grandfather was the owner of the Hiliner company. I've been recovering and refurbishing Hiliners for a few years.

I just recently started a website to post some of the info that I have on the Hiliner brand. http://woodedhiliner.wordpress.com/ I've posted the brochures for a few years.

If the hiliner was built after 1958, it's bottom is glass over plywood. The brochure from 1961 shows a schematic on the rear cover showing the hull construction.

Take a look at the brochures. If you have any more questions you can email me. I'm not a professional boat builder, but I do have some experiance with the Hiliner.

Good Luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.