Treating Plywood for Marine Board

Discussion in 'Materials' started by blackdaisies, Jun 10, 2009.

1. blackdaisies

blackdaisies Senior Member

Is there a way to make your own marine board cheaply by treating plywood with a chemical? I was hoping someone had heard of a way.

Thank you for your time.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

To make it short: NO.............there is no such way.

Regards
    Richard

3. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

print 1088 on it, well thats what they do here in italy, a load of marine ply, 40 sheets were delivered to the yard, i called 25 guys to move the lot up to the joinery shop, which disrupts the yard , but in 15 mins, its done, except i looked at the marine ply and it was delaminating, we put it all back on the truck, crooks and cowboys

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've made custom sized plywood panels and you don't want to do it. It's difficult, labor intensive, require a big *** press (I used vacuum) and it costs more, because you have to use milled veneers. Now, if I had the ability to cut my own veneers, well then . . .

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

blackdasies,

Marine grade ply wood is not just sytamped that way. It is the type of species of veneers, it is the glue bonding the veneers and it is the number of veneers too. Also the end gaps are part of the spec.

If the boat is for short term use and is meant to be a throwaway, then cheaper grades can be used, if the boat is meant to be around for the long haul, there is no alternative.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.