transporting a catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by category4jay, Jun 27, 2010.

1. category4jay

category4jay Jay G

bearflag thats what im thinking. There MIGHT be a route out there to transport thats way out of the way that might be feasible. I like the house mover idea as non-feasible at it may seem. Things might get a little dicey when I get to the border. You think Arizona is an outlaw state look up the state of Sonora in Mexico.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If the poles are round you only need to move the back pole to the front as you roll it forward, eliminating the need for 450 undoc.. illegal aliens. You would also need a Caterpillar to fair the way while it tows the cata...etc., at the same time creating a new world's longest golf course for Beloved Leader, to help him take his mind off the Gulf(should be called the BP Oil Spill, since Gulf Oil was not at fault:D) Oil Spill.

3. bearflag

bearflag Inventor/Fabricator

When you put it that way it doesn't sound logistically difficult at all.

While we are discussing Ancient Civilization tech, might as well consider building a big wheel shaped cradle around the whole boat, and just roll it end over end or side over side. whereever you need to take it.

You can use the cradle while you are building the boat so you can get in tricky places easier too. (no sanding over your head!!!)

4. bearflag

category4jay:

I think you are confusing "outlaw state" with "narco/police state" the whole northern border zone is essentially under martial law. But it isn't an 'outlaw" state in the classic sense, if anything mexico is pretty close to a classic totalitarian fascist state as the rest of those germano-spanish stepchild colonies. In Old-mexico you don't have anything like the expectation of rights and liberties like you do int he US, just their government is so corrupt and at the same time impotent you have the appearance of more liberty.

Outlaw in the way I meant it is a bit different then how people modernly construe it. States like Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, Alaska, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming Idaho (and california washington, oregon, other western states etc to a lesser degree were considered "Outlaw" in that they were "outside the law" rather than being lawless, this means the far reaching hand of the federal government, the territories, cities, etc were expected to administer justice locally, often individually. This "spirit of individualism" and libertarianism is still evident in most of these states. People have the expectation that they should be left alone to their own devices if they aren't infringing on other people. Quite a bit different than the North East or the South in mentality.

5. hoytedow

Why stop at a wheel? You could make it like a giant hamster ball and propell it with dung beetles.

6. bearflag

You could just train beetles, hamsters, or bees to make it for you. Now that would be efficient!

7. nero

nero Senior Member

successful move

This year I moved the last big piece of my 14.5 meter catamaran. It was 12 ft 5 inches wide. The permit was $22.00 for a 250 mile haul. I pulled it on a trailer I welded up myself. With a bit of planning, I am certain I could have moved the 30 ft wide boat on country and county roads 150 miles to the closest river.

Every state has different laws. In Illinois, state over width permits are only needed when using state or federal highways or interstates. County and rural roads are controlled by each county. In the South, there they seem not to be concerned with permitting on a one-time haul. In the nasty north, Cook county is all set up with lots of big city crap. (It is needed up there)

What I did wrong: I built the flair of the bridgedeck with the bridgedeck. It was hell and difficult to get the hulls and center pieces lined up. If the flair had been stripped up with the hull then I could have enclosed the hulls and finished them before moving them. The build would have been months faster. Also, the boat is now outdoors. This makes for a more challenging build.

Hauling the boat with a 1987 Nissan pickup was not much of a challenge. The hardest tow was the overwidth piece. I had a copilot to help navigate thru bridges and around sign poles etc. This required great concentration and was stressing. The move was successful however.

I ran Arizona in a big truck a few times. The ADOT are no easy going, polite, professional, understanding, and should be very helpful to you.

From the following link:
    http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/commercialenforcement/OversizeOverweight.asp

-- The Class A Oversize/Overweight permits are issued for vehicle and load combinations that are within specific size and weight limits. The load must be non-reducible. The Class A permit is issued for a single trip or thirty days.

Class A permits are issued only for travel on state routes.

Permits for use of other than state routes are procured from the proper local authority. See Routing Contacts. For City of Phoenix, see Phoenix Police Department - Oversize/Overweight Load Permits.

The following eligibility criteria must be met before issuing a Class A permit:

Non-reducible
    Specifically described load
    Width of vehicle and/or load is 14 ft or less
    Height of vehicle and/or load is 16 ft or less
    Length of vehicle and/or load is 120 ft or less
    Combined weight of vehicle and/or vehicle combination is 250,000 lbs or less
    If load projects from side of vehicle and load is 12 in or more deep, the projection must not exceed 3 ft on either side
    If load projects from side of vehicle and load is less than 12 in deep, the projection must not exceed 2 ft on either side
    Permit may not be used to routinely transport legal loads on over width trailers
    Vehicle must be currently registered for 80,000 lbs
    Fees
    Oversize Single Trip: $15
    Oversize 30 Day: $30
    --- from the Arizona DOT web

Seems to suggest that IL and AZ overwidth restrictions are for state and federal roads only.

If you are interested, I am selling the trailer next spring after I move the boat the final 3 miles to the river.

8. bearflag

nero, A-class post.

9. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

Nero - wht did you build? The double ender?:?:

10. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I am surprised you are allowed a 16ft height, many US road bridges are 14ft

I make some lateral thinking comments on moving large catamarans on my website.

Scroll down the Latest News page to near the bottom to read my ideas

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

11. hoytedow

Build it in Mexico.

12. bearflag

For big things usually you can bypass the overpasses if on major transportation or agricultural roads. Its slow going to have to have to take every on or off ramp but it can be done.

I used to work in live events and we put all sorts of strange things on the back of flatbed trucks that stuck up, hung over the side, were too tall for underpasses.

Similarly anywhere where there is some heavy industry, sometimes the parts just don't break down into smaller pieces than 13'6"

13. category4jay

category4jay Jay G

Nero,
    Excellent post. Thank you for the information you presented.

14. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Make a wood rack for the back of your pickup truck and slide the Cat right over the whole truck.

If you have friends and reletives along for the trip be sure to tell them to hold on tite!
    \

[​IMG]

15. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Just build it at the lowest nearby site, and wait for the water to rise due to global warming, should not take too long according to Al Gore and company. Or have the oceans started to recede now with the current administration in charge?

If I were in your place I would plan on building it in large pieces and transport it one hull at a time, and do the final assembly at the water. Sounds like it would save you many thousands of $ even if inconvenient.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.