Transparent Seas?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Feb 24, 2006.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

2. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

As a guy that has personally cracked at least one of those "it can't be done" things . . . I think the guy writing the essay (Joe Buff) has his neck way out and strategically placed over a chopping block.

Technological advances always change "magic" into commonplace events. But ask any inventor how many times he has heard the phrase: “It won't work.” For example, self-adjusting brakes for automobiles “won't work” according to the automobile industry. Starter motors also. Xerography “won't work” according to the copying machine industry. Polaroid cameras won't work according to the camera industry. In fact, apparently nothing will work at all . . . according to the experts.

And now that Mr. Buff has made his claims, what better incentive for some bright dude to prove him wrong?

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I watched the old movie called "The FountainHead" yesterday. The big winded courtroom speech Gary Cooper gives is a classic...............nails that topic solid.

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Might work but it's damned ungentlemanly and that's all there is to it! Won't get me up or is it down in one of those!;)

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

PDF
    http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=7004&sequence=0

US Navy Future Fleet size:
    http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=6304&sequence=0

Transformation:
    http://www.defenselink.mil/transformation/

After reading some of the above - the whole Littorial ships concept, Wolf-Packs, and Sea-Basing is the result of a couple of things.

1. Cold War is really over.

2. Nobody likes us anymore, so we have to base our operations completly at sea. If they do like us, or tollerate us, we are not safe in their ports (ie USS Cole).

6. safewalrus

Of course there is the other thing, justification of existence by various admirals and generals etc now that the big bad russkie has his own problems! Still cheer up his admirals and generals are probably saying the same thing to their lot (and the Brits believe it or not haven't even got the bottle for that anymore - anyone want to buy a battleship?) :( :mad:

7. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Do u sell ratio metal construct battleship model? Gee......... VISA or MASTER?

8. safewalrus

AMERICAN EXPRESS only I'm afraid!

9. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

For the safety of endangered walrus....... DINNER CLUB is best choice if u understand......lol

10. safewalrus

MMMmm! Ho! Ho! Ho!

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I think Billydoc, it's a clear case of: "Well it works in practice - but will it work in theory...:(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.