Transome mod

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by watsonfleet, May 24, 2005.

1. watsonfleet

watsonfleet Junior Member

Hi
    I have recently purchased a Clipper 26 and i am thinking of modifying the transome to a self bailing cocpit. what will the change on the backstay be if i bring it in about a foot and a half and put a split backstay in instead of the current single stay.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Will the main get stuck?

3. watsonfleet

relpy about Main

No the main is free. all that will really change is the rudder will be bout a foot further foreward and the backstay will be about 2 feet further foreward.

4. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

The backstay will need to be tensioned more, since the angle won't be as favorable. I'm getting a rough approximation of about 10-15%.

5. watsonfleet

Im gonna replace the whole backstay and change it into a split stay as well as probably beef up the cable

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Not only does the boom have to clear the backstay(s) in a normal position, but more importantly, it must clear the boom in the event of a wild jibe lifting it 45 degrees as it's tossed to the other side of the boat at 100 MPH. Fully split backs can provide a tad more room then a single fixed back, because they're outboard and farther from the pivot point at the gooseneck, but two feet sounds like a lot on a boat that size. I walked outside and looked at my 24' sailer (also with full split backs) and pictured it's backs being moved two feet forward and there's no way the boom would clear if it was hiked up a little bit. You'd also likely have a roach chaff issue on the main, without a new crane at the aft side of the masthead.

7. watsonfleet

The mast is not stepped centre on the boat but a good bit closer to the bow and the boom as a good clearance all round. The mast head should be all fine considering the backstay and chaffing. im mainly wanting to know that if i change the angle of the backstay if it will change the dynamics on the tension needed on the mast dramatically because of it being closer to where the mast is stepped from.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, it will change the dynamics of the loading, but it would be a guess on how much more tension you'll need without panel load calculations done on the proposed rig changes. The chaff issue will not be at the masthead, but likely about a forth to a third of the way down the roach from the masthead.

With the suggested changes you've got in mind (transom, keel, rig, etc.) for this boat, it may be difficult to find a class to race in, let alone get a good rating. You may be best served, digging up the old ballast keel, fixing the transom (if necessary) and moving the back(s) if the rules of the class permit, if truly interested in racing, with a competitive rate. Most fleets frown on butchered or altered boats and the rate you'll get will likely not be a good one without a strong argument from you for the changes plus the math and drawings to back it up. "Winging it" just will not fly with the rules committee.

9. watsonfleet

Ok
    Thanks alot for the help. Much appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.