Merc trim system cleaning

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by glastronjohn, Dec 11, 2009.

1. glastronjohn

glastronjohn Junior Member

I have 1990 merc 350mag, Alpha gen 1. The trim oil has been milky for the past few years so I'm cleaning and rebuilding the system. The trim pump has a plastic resivore with the a single bolt through the bottom. It's on the bench. I cleaned out the resivore and now want to get the bad oil out of the pump. Can I cycle new oil through the pump with it on the bench, or will I break something with the hoses off, or is there a better way? I want to get all of the old oil out before I put it back together.

I'll tackle the cylinders next. I have spanner wrench for the caps, 2 new seal kits and the merc instructions. I plan to clean the hoses and manifold out with solvent and an air hose. Any other suggestions?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.