Best Breadth And Height For Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by naserrishehri, Sep 12, 2014.

1. naserrishehri

naserrishehri Senior Member

DEAR FIENDS
    How can i find the best height and breadth to design my boat while i know length and hull shape(V type)? does statistic data help me?

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Who will be the next one to attempt to provide a full course in boat design on the forum?

Not meant as a rebuke to the OP but as a wake up to need for basic knowledge. Start with a basic book like Dave Gerr's "Nature of Boats" followed by Ted Brewer's small book on design.

3. naserrishehri

naserrishehri Senior Member

thanks tom to inform me about the books
    actually i have never had experience of designing a small boat but i know for big ships we can use statistic from existing vessels dimensions. i do not know this method is good to design boats or not.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

First you must create a statement of requirements for the intended boat. This is commonly called SOR. It includes such as............

What is the purpose of the boat?
    In what kinds od waters will it be used?
    How many passengers must it accommodate?
    At what speeds is it to be operated?
    Does it need overnight accommodations for passengers?
    Will it be powered by inboard or outboard engines?
    Is low fuel consumption an important factor?
    There are many more questions to answer before any design features can be determined.

Each of these, and several more, will be used for preliminary design choices.

You have not told us whether it is to be a work boat, pleasure boat, power boat, sailboat, or ferry boat.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The difference between ships and small boats, is that in small boat the moving displacement (crew) can be more than the displacement of the boat.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Let´s consider that: displacement = weight of the empty boat + crew + some other itmes.
    According to this simple formula, the weight of the crew can not be larger than the displacement.
    I'm probably misunderstanding Gonzo´s answer.
    Surely has meant that the weight of the crew is more than the weight of the empty boat.
    In any case, we should define what range of displacements that statement is true. To give a figure (I have not calculated anything), I think in vessels over 400 kg is not met.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.