Transom replacement - Top of boat removeable??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by asianbandit, Oct 25, 2006.

1. asianbandit

asianbandit Junior Member

Alright guys, Finally got the chance to look inside the transome..and guess what..it is totally rotten...alright no big deal i can deal with that...here is my question...

I have a 14' tri-hull glass boat. There is a lip/cover that goes around the hole edge of the boat. After closer examination it seems like i can unscrew the all of them around the boat and the whole top part of the boat will come right up and give me access to the transom. Is this a good idea to do? Or should I cut the transom, to get to the rotten wood. Here is a pic to kind of show you what i am talking about...
    [​IMG]

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Yes, the cap is removable and it does make it a lot easier to work on the boat. You have to be carefull the shape of the hull doesn't change while you are working on it as all the new glasswork will lock that shape in and the cap might not fit back on, or the bottom shape might get twisted or lumpy and give a strange ride. I think you might as well count on gutting the hull and replacing everything anew. This has been done and discussed numerous times and using the 'search' feature will tell you everything you want to know. Here is another site that has an awful lot of people doing this sort of thing. 'Boat Restoration and Building' and 'Boat Topics and Questions' are the forums you want. You'll have to join to ask questions and 'search', but it's worth it. Sam
    http://forums.iboats.com/

3. asianbandit

asianbandit Junior Member

SAm SAM

Sam thanks for the link...i think this site will help me tremedously>>