Transom repair question

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by robbieinga, Aug 27, 2006.

1. robbieinga

robbieinga Junior Member

New lurker and poster here. I recently purchased this 14' fiberglass boat and am in the process of starting repairs to the flooring and transom. But I noticed that most transoms are flat across the back making it easier to remove the inside skin to access wood for repairs, however as you can see in the pics I have this box type structure to deal with can I just remove it and eliminate it from the restoration? Does it serve any benefit. If it stayed it too would need to be repaired. Thanks in advance
    Robbie

Attached Files:

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Naw wouldn't bother it should only contain some old bits of foam, just get a chain saw and chop the lot off! :D You'd sink of course but you'd entertain some old fishermen on the quay!:p :p :D

3. safewalrus

In other words if you don't know what your doin leave the bugger alone!:rolleyes:

4. robbieinga

robbieinga Junior Member

Ok so how do I repair the transom by leaving it in place It has wood in parts of it that is rotten also. I really didnt want to remove the external skin for the transom repair and then I would still have the problem of it being brittle in places.

5. safewalrus

robbie your in the wrong forum buddy this one is for irrelavant old sods like me to have a crack with others of that ilk - would suggest that you repear your question in one of the repair forums but from what your saying at this range you got yourself a lemon there but I wish you the best of luck with the repair - in the absense of a local boatbuilder I think I build me a ply jon boat or similar and give that one back to the guy who gave it you in the first place - your description sound like either a lot of money with no garuntee (?) or a wet bum at least!

6. robbieinga

robbieinga Junior Member

Alright Thanks for the info I'll try the reposting.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.