transom repair opinions

Discussion in 'Materials' started by swade, May 21, 2012.

1. swade

swade Senior Member

Update! (i know i pop in and out between long pauses, kids keep me busy!), splashing this week if the weather cooperates.

I've been putzing around finishing up some odds and ends and addressing some issues on the inside, and had to do some work on the trailer. Did my first bit of webbing + gelcoat under the hatch and behind the door I had built awhile back. Man that was easy, shoot some gel, then splatter with a paint brush, what a quick way to finish rough areas off. I put in some eye candy splashwell drains, shot a few more non skid areas. Man the updates on this boat make it look sharp... all that dash stuff i redid including tapping holes for socket bolts, recreating the curved potty hatch and making that side door.

It's not really my style (as i've come to find out) but i think it matches the type of boat this is and really updates it's look. Not sure If i'll get around to some stripes.

Thankfully with the help i've been able to finish most of this off.

Next boat is in line, last update i was going to strip the upholstery out, fill the holes, maybe make some small bolsters, install some fishing seats up front, the more i thought about that it just didn't make much of a bit of sense and would have added on more time.

With what i've learned on this and how they are built I was able to confidently inspect things on a slightly older center console to my satisfaction that just popped up 1 street over. I'd have *never* been able to do that without keeping on this project...even working on stuff today I learned a few things. I think when I started this thread that was my main reason for taking this on.

Really i enjoy what limited fab stuff i did, (not so much the repairs!), so i'm looking forward to putzing a bit more with that stuff..except this time the replacement boat has no fancy stuff, just rod holders, hatched off decks, plastic seats and snap in upholstery to sit in and throw a line out =)

I'll let you know how the splash goes!

Attached Files:

2. swade

swade Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.